Can you ID this please?

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what these white stringy things are. I tried blasting the rocks and siphoning it out but it would come back. Not weblike so don’t think it’s vermatid snails?

Any ideas?

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The videos aren’t loading so I can’t see any footage. Do you have photos?

It sounds like the white stringy bacterial slime that I dealt with when I overdosed Red Sea NOPOX (carbon dosing) to lower nutrients in my first tank. What are your nutrient levels and what are you dosing?

OP
OP
P

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The videos aren’t loading so I can’t see any footage. Do you have photos?

It sounds like the white stringy bacterial slime that I dealt with when I overdosed Red Sea NOPOX (carbon dosing) to lower nutrients in my first tank. What are your nutrient levels and what are you dosing?

It's weird. Just checked and videos won't load for me either on my phone but now I'm on a desktop computer and it works. I'll see if I can take a screenshot and post it.

I have an AIO. First chamber is just filter floss and UV. 2nd Chamber is seachem pond matrix and chemipure, which I took out the chemipure now. 3rd chamber is just return. I only dose about 1.5 ml of All for Reef daily and under 5 ml of Red Sea AB+ once a week. Did not dose NOPOX.

Honestly, haven't tested levels in awhile and need to do that asap as well.

OP
OP
P

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5046.png IMG_5047.jpeg

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like that web-like bacterial stuff to me. Could resolve itself over time. Is your system newer?

I would recommend just vacuuming it out when you can and riding it out like an ugly stage. Bacterial maturity should help and if you aren’t carbon dosing intentionally, it should be ok.

OP
OP
P

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like that web-like bacterial stuff to me. Could resolve itself over time. Is your system newer?

I would recommend just vacuuming it out when you can and riding it out like an ugly stage. Bacterial maturity should help and if you aren’t carbon dosing intentionally, it should be ok.

Understood! It is a newer system but I've done new system, instant cycle systems, etc and never seen this before so it stumped me. I just did a big cleaning last night, siphoning out everything and already saw a little stringy stuff this morning but trying to stay strong! Fish are doing well, corals look ok but sometimes I do see certain ones aren't as happy because the strings get stuck on their tentacles or something lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back