Can you mix different salts?

ZachariahBeanzz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 9, 2024
Messages
288
Reaction score
118
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! I was wondering if you can use different salt brands for water changes? I started my tank with water from an LFS that’s a bit farther away, but I usually go to a closer one for regular water changes. They use a different salt mix, so I was wondering if it’s okay to switch brands as long as salinity the same. I’d be making the switch before adding any coral, so I figured the differences in parameters like calcium or alkalinity wouldn’t matter too much yet. Thanks!
 
There shouldn’t be a problem. If anything, it may be better to have the mixed salt for a slower transition.
 
I do this and have never had a problem. I never really let my saltwater reservoir run dry but when it gets low I top it off with rodi and mix in the new salt up to proper salinity. I've swapped salts a few times and never had issues.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new