Can you mix scolymia coral with soft corals?

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have heard a lot of mixed views on soft corals with LPS and wanted to learn more about the compatibility of the two?
I have a Zoanthid tank with 1 frag of silver xenias and wanted to know if it would be safe to mix them with a scolymia coral? Zoanthids are placed in the middle of the tank on the rocks and the Xenia is on the right side of the tank, plan would be to have the scolymia on the far left side of tank away from both of them on the sand-bed.
Tank Specs:
20gallon nuvo peninsula
2 - AI Primes HD
MP10
ATO
Weekly water changes

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have heard a lot of mixed views on soft corals with LPS and wanted to learn more about the compatibility of the two?
I have a Zoanthid tank with 1 frag of silver xenias and wanted to know if it would be safe to mix them with a scolymia coral? Zoanthids are placed in the middle of the tank on the rocks and the Xenia is on the right side of the tank, plan would be to have the scolymia on the far left side of tank away from both of them on the sand-bed.
Tank Specs:
20gallon nuvo peninsula
2 - AI Primes HD
MP10
ATO
Weekly water changes
There isn't any reason you shouldn't be able to put a scoly in that tank, assuming your water parameters are good! You could always try some other LPS as well prior to coughing up the money for a scoly!

OP
OP
Jared's Little Reef

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't any reason you shouldn't be able to put a scoly in that tank, assuming your water parameters are good! You could always try some other LPS as well prior to coughing up the money for a scoly!
What would be the best alternative LPS test coral to ensure a scolymia would have the best chance of survival? Favites?
Edit: If the Favites grow too fast may give them away or sell them, friend has some and they grow a ton, but he spot feeds them 3x/week and has large colonies of them. Not sure how fast a few heads of them would grow only feeding 1x/week

Last edited:

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best alternative LPS test coral to ensure a scolymia would have the best chance of survival? Favites?
Edit: If the Favites grow too fast may give them away or sell them, friend has some and they grow a ton, but he spot feeds them 3x/week and has large colonies of them. Not sure how fast a few heads of them would grow only feeding 1x/week
You could try something like that or something like an acan! They are similar from what I understand and can be had for under $20 where I live.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 173 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back