Scolymia Propagation Experiment

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synopsys
I've been waiting for a while to post this thread, pending the results of my experiment. But I wanted to at least start it so I could share my progress with propagating Scolymia.

I first learned about this technique when I read this article on reef builders.

I thought it was so cool that you could cut these corals and have a new, unique scoly form on the bottom. I'm also really passionate about reef conservation, so I think it's important for us to focus on making our hobby as gentle on wild collection as possible.

There isn't much information out there about this method of propagation, so I wanted to start this thread to bounce ideas around and share experience.

Experiment

Anyways, I bought a scoly in November of 2023, and after giving it a few weeks to acclimate to my system, I decided to try my first cut. NOV 21st

IMG_4384.JPG

As you can see, the cut is actually located on the perimeter of the skeleton. After I made the cut, I realized from reading that the most effective cuts are closer to the mouth. After about 6 weeks no baby had formed. Disappointed, I made another cut- this one being deeper...

Date JAN 2nd

IMG_4615.JPG

This second cut was much closer towards the center (the mouth) of the scolymia. I actually went a bit too deep and broke through to the coral on the other side. Not to worry though, this method still works, however, it takes longer to form a baby if you break through.

Luckily, very quickly, I noticed a baby forming.

JAN 6th

IMG_4638.jpg

Currently, I have pigmentation beginning to form as well as a distinct mouth.

FEB 22nd

IMG_4971.JPG

This is my current progress. I will be updating the thread as the baby grows. Today, I also performed a cut on my master scoly, this time not breaking through the skeleton, to test this method as well. Would love to hear any questions, comments, or experience!

Dylan

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow awesome! I didnt realize they appear so quickly! Following along, not sure how helpful it is but my Ancanthophyllia donut coral (not the same species/genus but similar structure single fat head) cracked and was cut into quarters a month back, All four quarters survived and already reformed back into smaller donut corals for the most part.

OP
OP
dylandionysius

dylandionysius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow awesome! I didnt realize they appear so quickly! Following along, not sure how helpful it is but my Ancanthophyllia donut coral (not the same species/genus but similar structure single fat head) cracked and was cut into quarters a month back, All four quarters survived and already reformed back into smaller donut corals for the most part.
apparently if your parameters are good, they can be fully formed in 4-6 months!

And that’s so cool about the ancanthophyllia! I was at BSA corals the other day and he confirmed to me that they can be cut and propagated… but they’re quite expensive so you definitely need to have the experience and courage to do it haha

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apparently if your parameters are good, they can be fully formed in 4-6 months!

And that’s so cool about the ancanthophyllia! I was at BSA corals the other day and he confirmed to me that they can be cut and propagated… but they’re quite expensive so you definitely need to have the experience and courage to do it haha
Lol yeah, the only reason I did it was because I dropped him and he cracked. I definitely regret it though, from like a softball size, he's down to like 4 ping pong ball size on a good day...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back