Can you please HELP identify what's growing in my tank

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Max E-170 with protein skimmer and media filter bad and sponge, NO sump.

The tank has cycled and has been running for about 2 months now, but I recently noticed brown/red patches on my dry rock and sand. The patches look like they contain tiny air bubbles. I did a water 30% water change a couple days ago and recently got some hermit crab, snails to try to combat this situation. I've also added Microbractor7. My parameters is 10ppm Nitrate and I have not tested phosphate yet.

Do I just wait it out or do I need to be proactive.

Any suggestions or help will be much appreciated!

IMG_0762.jpg IMG_0761.jpg

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a new tank if so those will just go away in time wouldnt worry

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely to be cyno bacteria from the description and age of the tank, but we really need clearer pictures

Dino’s tend to be brown rather than the ’brown/red’ you state

OP
OP
A

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely to be cyno bacteria from the description and age of the tank, but we really need clearer pictures

I will get some clear pictures when I get home. Thanks

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only reason I didnt say cyano was becuase of the air bubbles. Cyano in my experience doesnt produce tiny air bubbles. Now I'm not saying no one has experienced that. Just in my experience. But it could be either. And at 2 months old I probably would lean more towards cyano.

OP
OP
A

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures of my dry rock in white light, when I turn on the white light it doesn't look red anymore. Its brown now.

IMG_0765.jpg IMG_0769.jpg IMG_0770.jpg IMG_0771.jpg IMG_0774.jpg

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like dino since the air bubbles. Do you have any pics with white lights on. Makes it much easier to see the actual culprit.
Wait is it bubble algea If i can blow it away and bubbles rise up. My phos is .03 but my nitrates are low at 1ppm.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Beginning of dinoflagellates.
Loosen this stuff with a turkey baster and net or siphon it up. Turn off whites and if no corals, turn off all lights for 4 days. Add 1ml per 10 gallons of Hydrogen peroxide loosening this substance daily with turkey baster and add the same volume of liquid bacteria during the day. This will vanish. Do not add coral foods or NOPOX during this 4 day period

Back