Help with buildup in the tank

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Newbie here!…. I was hoping someone could help me. This weekend I did a 80% water change in my tank, because EVERYTHING was cover with a yellow/brown/gold buildup (algae??) I took everything out and cleaned the inside. I scrubbed my rocks until they were almost back to white….. I got everything back in, and refilled with salt water from my lfs….. now, only 2 days later, the build up is starting again . Any suggestions on how to get raid of it???? (I don’t want to let it be, and have to empty it again!!! Thanks in advance

IMG_2318.jpeg

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply a little more information about your tank please. It will help many people to help you. Tank size, current water parameters, current inhabitants, tank age, lighting, proximity to windows. There are a lot of things to consider. Clean up crew, or lack of, could help if we knew what you currently have in the tank for example.

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info is needed, but if the tank and rock are new, you're just going thru new tank uglies. Make sure you're using RODI water for water changes because tap water can make it worse. Other than that, just some patience. It will work itself out as the tank matures

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply a little more information about your tank please. It will help many people to help you. Tank size, current water parameters, current inhabitants, tank age, lighting, proximity to windows. There are a lot of things to consider. Clean up crew, or lack of, could help if we knew what you currently have in the tank for example.
I am using a fluval flex 15. I check the water yesterday and all values were either
that rock is fresh, looks completely normal for a new cycling tank. that big water change and scrubbing the rock probably stalled the cycle. Let it get past the ugly stage and get a clean up crew
thank you....... that is exactly what my fish guru told me :)..... I was worry that the build up was hurting the fish, but he said it was normal........ as soon as I get a chance I will add my tanks specs

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back