Stocking help

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here. Tank is 8 weeks old and is starting the brown algae spots, on the sand, glass, back wall & rocks.

My current stocking in a 32 Gallon is;
X1 Bicolour Blenny
X2 Clowns
X2 Red Legged Hermots
X1 Orange Lipped Conch.

Do I need to invest in some more CUC and if so how many? Conscious I don't want to overstock and starve a load of inverts to death.

Also, my final stocking preference for fish would be a Royal Gramma, any suggestions on when to add him? I was thinking of waiting a while but don't want the current residents to get very territorial if left a while? Thanks!

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here. Tank is 8 weeks old and is starting the brown algae spots, on the sand, glass, back wall & rocks.

My current stocking in a 32 Gallon is;
X1 Bicolour Blenny
X2 Clowns
X2 Red Legged Hermots
X1 Orange Lipped Conch.

Do I need to invest in some more CUC and if so how many? Conscious I don't want to overstock and starve a load of inverts to death.

Also, my final stocking preference for fish would be a Royal Gramma, any suggestions on when to add him? I was thinking of waiting a while but don't want the current residents to get very territorial if left a while? Thanks!
Hey Brav - dont rush on the fish, no need to. Research a bit more and get the one you prefer. I'd also go with utilitarian fish, such as tailspot blennys and wrasses. You're at a good spot now to introduce pods. Add some phyto each day, but those pods will help with diatoms for sure. Also, you should consider getting some Astreas or Turbo snails. You wont starve them out, i'd say go with 3 each and see how good of a job they do. They'll constantly be grazing on new growth. Nesarith snails are great for turning up the sand as well.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a good idea to add some cuc. Maybe a handful of Nassarius snails, a few Astrea snails and a couple Turbo snails to start.

OP
OP
B

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the clowns acting? Territorial at all?

Be patience and get the fish you want but make sure its the correct fish.
Not at all. They get along really well with the Bicolour Blenny and are happy to allow him to get in on the feeding when the Mysis goes in.

My preference is a Royal Gramma as a 4th and final fish. Do you think that would be ok? I've read to put them in last as they cam be territorial

OP
OP
B

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brav - dont rush on the fish, no need to. Research a bit more and get the one you prefer. I'd also go with utilitarian fish, such as tailspot blennys and wrasses. You're at a good spot now to introduce pods. Add some phyto each day, but those pods will help with diatoms for sure. Also, you should consider getting some Astreas or Turbo snails. You wont starve them out, i'd say go with 3 each and see how good of a job they do. They'll constantly be grazing on new growth. Nesarith snails are great for turning up the sand as well.
Appreciate the advice on fish & snails. I already have a Bicolour Blenny so not sure whether I dare go with another incase theres any fighting over rock real estate. As below I am thinking a Royal Gramma as a 4th & final fish so eventually I'll add one. No rush

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the advice on fish & snails. I already have a Bicolour Blenny so not sure whether I dare go with another incase theres any fighting over rock real estate. As below I am thinking a Royal Gramma as a 4th & final fish so eventually I'll add one. No rush
Royal gramma would be fine. I have one in a 70 and he has never had beef with any other fish

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. They get along really well with the Bicolour Blenny and are happy to allow him to get in on the feeding when the Mysis goes in.

My preference is a Royal Gramma as a 4th and final fish. Do you think that would be ok? I've read to put them in last as they cam be territorial
My clown killed the royal gramma i put in.:zipper-mouth-face:

But such a young fish i bet he would be fine.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! Ya sounds good. They have really nice gramma's out there - go with something colorful and unique, pricey, but cool!

OP
OP
B

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown killed the royal gramma i put in.:zipper-mouth-face:

But such a young fish i bet he would be fine.
Sorry to hear about your Gramma. My Clowns are still pretty small and definitely Juveniles so I'm hoping they won't be too aggressive when I eventually add

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back