Stocking Plan for my 20L

MattO24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm new to reef keeping and I'm looking for advice on my stocking plan. I have a 20L looking to start a mixed reef tank with softies and LPS down the line.

My current stocking plan is:
- Oscellaris Clownfish
- Royal Gramma
- Springeri Damselfish
- and either a Pink Streaked Wrasse, Swales Swissguard Basslet or a Blenny of some kind

I'm open to suggestions I'm still very undecided and have a week or two until fish can be added thanks to a brooklynella outbreak 5 weeks ago.

Thanks in advance.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20L= 5gallons. Not enough room for anything but micro fish or a few small inverts

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote a tailspot blenny.
E593A6B1-9F01-4BF7-9808-05F841AB82D9.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would be a colourful mix of fish. I see 2 possibly aggressive and 2 timid fish in your list. Put the timid fish first, and hopefully you get lucky with peaceful clown and damsel, but that would be a nice mix if it works out.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that they have great personalities, definitely something I'm considering if its compatible with the rest of the fish which I'm seeing may be slightly aggressive.
I added mine after the other fish had been in for 2 years, 2 clowns, yellow tail damsel, sixline wrass, diamond watchman goby and a royal gramma with bo problems if that helps.

OP
OP
M

MattO24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would be a colourful mix of fish. I see 2 possibly aggressive and 2 timid fish in your list. Put the timid fish first, and hopefully you get lucky with peaceful clown and damsel, but that would be a nice mix if it works out.
I was thinking the damsel might be too aggressive for a tank this size, I really like their blue colour do you know any other alternatives that may not be as much of a nuisance to its tankmates?

OP
OP
M

MattO24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added mine after the other fish had been in for 2 years, 2 clowns, yellow tail damsel, sixline wrass, diamond watchman goby and a royal gramma with bo problems if that helps.
That's awesome it sounds like a great group of fish, I'd love a six-line but I've heard they might be a bit too aggressive for a 20. Also would two clowns make them more aggressive than if there was only one?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome it sounds like a great group of fish, I'd love a six-line but I've heard they might be a bit too aggressive for a 20. Also would two clowns make them more aggressive than if there was only one?
Typically the female will be more aggressive and yours will become female on her own anyway. I’ve never had just one, they tend to stake out a relatively small area in the tank and spend most of their time there. Mine don’t show aggression even if another fish enters their area. Mine are just the plain Jane occellaris
23C366F5-FA0D-4051-8B15-DA20DF6DC93F.jpeg
but over a decade ago I had marroons that seemed to make a sport out of killing other fish, NEVER again!

OP
OP
M

MattO24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the female will be more aggressive and yours will become female on her own anyway. I’ve never had just one, they tend to sake out a relatively small area in the tank and spend most of their time there. Mine don’t show aggression even if another fish enters their are. Mine are just the plain Jane occellaris
23C366F5-FA0D-4051-8B15-DA20DF6DC93F.jpeg
but over a decade ago I had marroons that seemed to make a sport out of killing other fish, NEVER again!
Thanks a lot for the info, so besides the additional bioload would there be any reason not to go for two since they hang out in their own small area? The tank looks really nice!

OP
OP
M

MattO24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 20g yes.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm going to take it slow and add a tailspot blenny, royal gramma, an oscellaris clown, a six-line/pink streak wrasse, and an azure/springeri damsel. Five fish might be too many so I'll have to see how things work out and go from there.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm going to take it slow and add a tailspot blenny, royal gramma, an oscellaris clown, a six-line/pink streak wrasse, and an azure/springeri damsel. Five fish might be too many so I'll have to see how things work out and go from there.
Five will be pushing it, make sure your rock work has plenty of hiding places and you keep up with your export. I would definitely go with the pink streak in this size tank and that many fish, they tend to stay smaller than the sixline. Remember availability is seasonal so be patient. Make sure you add the most passive first and the one with the reputation of more aggressive last.

OP
OP
M

MattO24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five will be pushing it, make sure your rock work has plenty of hiding places and you keep up with your export. I would definitely go with the pink streak in this size tank and that many fish, they tend to stay smaller than the sixline. Remember availability is seasonal so be patient. Make sure you add the most passive first and the one with the reputation of more aggressive last.
Awesome thanks again for the help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back