Fish stocking plans

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me and I wanted a little bit of everything in a 5 foot tank it would look something like this (I'm about to just list my stocking more or less because I have similar taste but give you options):
Open swimmers:
-1 bristletooth tang (any variety of kole tang or tomini tang) they help with algae (add near end)
-1 pointy mouthed algae eater (zebrasoma Tang I'd go yellow probably but you might be able to do a scopas or sailfin or a foxface)
-a chrysptera damsel (starki, Roland's, talbots, springeri)
-a fairy/flasher wrasse
-a halichoeres wrase OR a dwarf angel (could maybe do both but might be overstocked)
-clown pair

Perchers/rock dwellers:
-an algae eating blenny (bicolor, starry, lawnmower)
-a hawkfish (of you don't want shrimp pistol should be fine in sand)
-a clown goby
-a bangai cardinal or pj cardinal
-a basslet (chalk, royal gramma, candy, swissgard)
-could also consider a type of mandarin once tank is established

Bottom:
-pistol shrimp goby pair

This is imo about max stocking. The perchers and rock dwellers would also stay pretty low in tank

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research is not an issue. I’m an over analyzer aka decision paralysis haha

I’ve been planning this tank for YEARS and finally am doing it.

I’ve seen quite a bit on foxfaces being hit or miss with regard to temperament. I know that can be true of almost anything but that gives me some pause
Foxfaces can be aggressive at times but unlike some tangs that fight all day everyday. My foxface will chase a fish here and there but hes most of the time a well mannered fish. I will never own a larger tank without one.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schooling fish: anthias or chromis. I have chromis, the 3 have been together for over a year, no issues. Some people report they pick them off. If you are going to have the shrimp no triggers or preadators. Also hawkfish might eat shrimps. For me when I first started it was easier for me to figure out what kinds of fish were a no then narrowed down from there. I always start my tanks with a pair of clownfish babies (sooo cute and you get to watch them grow) and add from there!
Great advice. I did the same with my clowns until they turned evil and tried to kill everyone. Why I’ll never suggest one ever again. I have a hawkfish that is a well mannered fish but recently my xmass fish dive bombs my snails and then them together kills the snail together. Always a crap shoot with fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice. I did the same with my clowns until they turned evil and tried to kill everyone. Why I’ll never suggest one ever again. I have a hawkfish that is a well mannered fish but recently my xmass fish dive bombs my snails and then them together kills the snail together. Always a crap shoot with fish.
Yeah you know Im waiting for my chromis to go all lord of the flies on each other lol they just havnt yet!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxfaces can be aggressive at times but unlike some tangs that fight all day everyday. My foxface will chase a fish here and there but hes most of the time a well mannered fish. I will never own a larger tank without one.
I 100% agree, fox faces are awesome. Mine only chases my butterfly, but he is a dingbat and annoys all the fish for no reason lol

OP
OP
logibear

logibear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me and I wanted a little bit of everything in a 5 foot tank it would look something like this (I'm about to just list my stocking more or less because I have similar taste but give you options):
Open swimmers:
-1 bristletooth tang (any variety of kole tang or tomini tang) they help with algae (add near end)
-1 pointy mouthed algae eater (zebrasoma Tang I'd go yellow probably but you might be able to do a scopas or sailfin or a foxface)
-a chrysptera damsel (starki, Roland's, talbots, springeri)
-a fairy/flasher wrasse
-a halichoeres wrase OR a dwarf angel (could maybe do both but might be overstocked)
-clown pair

Perchers/rock dwellers:
-an algae eating blenny (bicolor, starry, lawnmower)
-a hawkfish (of you don't want shrimp pistol should be fine in sand)
-a clown goby
-a bangai cardinal or pj cardinal
-a basslet (chalk, royal gramma, candy, swissgard)
-could also consider a type of mandarin once tank is established

Bottom:
-pistol shrimp goby pair

This is imo about max stocking. The perchers and rock dwellers would also stay pretty low in tank
Amazing! Thanks for taking all the time to respond

OP
OP
logibear

logibear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! Love getting other people’s advice from their own experience.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! Love getting other people’s advice from their own experience.
You can also click on the badges at the top for tank thread and see other people’s tanks or the aquarium showcase tab! You might run across a fish you like! And see how they stocked their tank

OP
OP
logibear

logibear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also click on the badges at the top for tank thread and see other people’s tanks or the aquarium showcase tab! You might run across a fish you like! And see how they stocked their tank
Nice to see someone else from Denver too!

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a One Spot Foxface and a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang. Agree with poster above on adding the Tang last (I didn’t). Overall, the Tang is fine, but he has taken out 3 Diamond Gobies - apparently he views them as competitors for algae in the sand. He definitely is king of the tank.

When I first added the Foxface, the Tang went after him. The Foxface flashed his spines a few times and after a couple of days, they were buddies. Foxface now follows the Tang everywhere. I will say, the 2 of them are the largest fish in my tank and they are both wusses - always hiding when someone comes up to the tank or if you make a fast motion.

I have a Solar Wrasse and love that fish. Colors are awesome and he’s curious - always out and about, swimming up to my hands if I’m working in the tank. I’d strongly consider a solar wrasse - there are also lots of cool wrasses for larger tanks (I only have a 75gallon display).

Someone mentioned Cardinals - I have 2 and find them kind of boring. They aren’t colorful and don’t move a lot either.

Good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back