Can you please ID this clownfish disease?

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vetteguy, do you have any suggestions for the fin and tail rot?
If kept in good water and fully cycled tank and feed good quality food you won't need to do anything for fin/tail rot. I brought a midnight clown with its tail completely gone and half its fins missing, kept it in the best water possible and feed the best foods. Fish was back to full health within 3 weeks and 6 months later is probably the healthiest its ever been

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200824_185758.jpg
20200824_185803.jpg
20200824_185806.jpg

It's showing signs of rapid breathing. I think some of the wear on the fins could be because it was picked on in another tank but I'm not sure.
I see ich and fin damage due to aggression. The rapid breathing could be brook, but without seeing skin mucus, I’m not leaning in that direction.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Vetteguy, do you have any suggestions for the fin and tail rot?
melafix works well but deal with the brook first so it doesnt overtake the fish

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm sad to report that he died at some point during the night... I suppose the stress of moving between the tanks + the freshwater dip just did him in, I don't know.

I'll still be treating the other fish who he was quarantining with.. I also have a 3rd fish who was in the DT, which this fish was in for like 2 minutes. Do you all think I should treat that fish too? Thanks for the help.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm sad to report that he died at some point during the night... I suppose the stress of moving between the tanks + the freshwater dip just did him in, I don't know.

I'll still be treating the other fish who he was quarantining with.. I also have a 3rd fish who was in the DT, which this fish was in for like 2 minutes. Do you all think I should treat that fish too? Thanks for the help.
Soory to hear.

That's the problem with trying to treat a stressed or ill fish, sometimes the extra stress just finishes them off. Personally I would have changed 25% of the water every 2 hours 4 times and repeated it every other day, increased surface agitation for better oxygen exchange. In my personal opinion I think you would have stood more of a chance of him surviving, fresh water dips can do more harm than good, they can work but not always. i think you took too much advice from too many people. Thats just my personal opinion though (I've never lost a fish to disease in 10 years)

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m sorry to hear that. The fish already didn’t look, and might have died from the diseases anyway, but I’m sure the stress of the move didn’t help anything. I would treat the third fish as well. Even if he was only in the tank with them a few minutes, he still could have gotten whatever parasite is affecting your other fish.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back