Can you please ID this clownfish disease?

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200824_185758.jpg
20200824_185803.jpg
20200824_185806.jpg

It's showing signs of rapid breathing. I think some of the wear on the fins could be because it was picked on in another tank but I'm not sure.

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish has a big appetite and is quite active and not scratching/rubbing on things.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like either brook or ich from the pictures, but it’s hard to tell which. Is the fish slimy looking, or are there just separate, white dots on the fish?

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies so far!

That looks like either brook or ich from the pictures, but it’s hard to tell which. Is the fish slimy looking, or are there just separate, white dots on the fish?
It doesn't look slimy to me, just like separate dots

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's had the tattered fins for two weeks. I just noticed the spots when putting it in better light (my DT), if that helps

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Brooklynella and fin and tail rot. First recourse is a freshwater dip.
Brooklynella is an infestation of marine fish by theciliated protozoan called Brooklynella hostilis. It is most closely and commonly associated with subfamily of clownfish members and therefore is typically referred to as clownfish disease .
Most similar symptomatically to ich, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus.
Quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium (ich) is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite.
Most used treatment for brook is copper, malachite green and formalin with is a formaldehyde base treatment.. The consensus is that the best and most effective treatment for Brooklynella is formaldehyde alone. Formalin is impossible to find.-
Formalin is a 37 percent solution of formaldehyde gas dissolved in water with methanol added as a stabilizer. It has been found to be an effective treatment for Brooklynella as well as other parasitic diseases and i myself will not attempt to make this as i know i'll screw it up.

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you so much everyone. I will do a freshwater dip on both the fist tonight (the other clown doesn't have symptoms) and I already put them back in my QT.

Is there anything I can use that isn't too hard to get that will treat both ich and brook? I'm also supposed to go away for the weekend so hopefully I can come up with something that can handle me away for 48 hours.

Brooklynella is an infestation of marine fish by theciliated protozoan called Brooklynella hostilis. It is most closely and commonly associated with subfamily of clownfish members and therefore is typically referred to as clownfish disease .
Most similar symptomatically to ich, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus.
Quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium (ich) is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite.
Most used treatment for brook is copper, malachite green and formalin with is a formaldehyde base treatment.. The consensus is that the best and most effective treatment for Brooklynella is formaldehyde alone. Formalin is impossible to find.-
Formalin is a 37 percent solution of formaldehyde gas dissolved in water with methanol added as a stabilizer. It has been found to be an effective treatment for Brooklynella as well as other parasitic diseases and i myself will not attempt to make this as i know i'll screw it up.
Looks like Ich, but clowns are very susceptible to Brooklynella as well. I'd treat for both in a quarantine tank.
looks like ick

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you so much everyone. I will do a freshwater dip on both the fist tonight (the other clown doesn't have symptoms) and I already put them back in my QT.

Is there anything I can use that isn't too hard to get that will treat both ich and brook? I'm also supposed to go away for the weekend so hopefully I can come up with something that can handle me away for 48 hours.
Unfortunately, only copper or chloroquine phosphate works on ich, and only formaldehyde and ruby reef rally work on brook. There isn’t a one medicine cures all type of thing. That’s part of why it’s so important to make sure you get the diagnosis right.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately, only copper or chloroquine phosphate works on ich, and only formaldehyde and ruby reef rally work on brook. There isn’t a one medicine cures all type of thing. That’s part of why it’s so important to make sure you get the diagnosis right.
Good point on ruby reef: Marine depot has it as well as Bid Als (cheaper price) , both online

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks! How about tank transfer method for if it's ich while I treat for brook? For the formaldehyde, can you recommend a brand name? I'm having a bit of trouble finding it on my Canadian fish supply website and amazon.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! How about tank transfer method for if it's ich while I treat for brook? For the formaldehyde, can you recommend a brand name? I'm having a bit of trouble finding it on my Canadian fish supply website and amazon.
Also you mite want to fix the cause of the problem in the first place smothing has brought the illness on

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you mite want to fix the cause of the problem in the first place smothing has brought the illness on
I'm not sure what you mean. I just got the fish 2 weeks ago so I assume it was infected at the LFS on its way there. Did I misunderstand?

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your water parameters? Temp? Did you acclimate? Is you tank cycled?
I started doing TTM with these but stopped because I was being lazy and just switched to watching them and frequent water changes to keep ammonia down. 80 degrees and 1.25 salinity and the freshly mixed saltwater goes in enough that I don't test other things. They were acclimated to the QT tank initially.

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vetteguy, do you have any suggestions for the fin and tail rot?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back