Can you put metroplex and paraguard together

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up i quarantine tank and im wondering if i can put metroplex, paragaurd and prazipro together to treat any internal and external parasites the fish might have? One more question i have is general cure basically metroplex and prazipro mixed together, if so can i mix general cure with paraguard?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing medications is risky. Full studies have not been done and there are so many different fish species out there, that one mix could work in one case but not another. It is much safer to run one course of medication and then another, in order to control different parasites. The most common is to dose the tank with copper and then prazipro or general cure. Paraguard, does not IMO have good efficacy against marine fish diseases.

In cases where the fish are very sick and have flukes and protozoans at the same time, copper can be dosed with prazipro together (not GC though).

Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I too am not a fan of mixing any meds and especially have no regard for Paraguard which rarely works and deemed ineffective opposed to many meds out there that Do work. I prefer coppersafe and copperPower and if flukes are present with parasites, best would be to give fish a freshwater dip same temperature as display tank and focus on ich first which is more critical.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am not a fan of mixing any meds and especially have no regard for Paraguard which rarely works and deemed ineffective opposed to many meds out there that Do work. I prefer coppersafe and copperPower and if flukes are present with parasites, best would be to give fish a freshwater dip same temperature as display tank and focus on ich first which is more critical.
Well is there any meds that i can put in the water that will treat both internal and external parasites and diseases?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well is there any meds that i can put in the water that will treat both internal and external parasites and diseases?
Seachem Metroplex is one that treats fish both internally and externally and is absorbed and addresses protozoan and bacterial issues. You can use it safely with Ruby Rally Pro

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Metroplex is one that treats fish both internally and externally and is absorbed and addresses protozoan and bacterial issues. You can use it safely with Ruby Rally Pro
In your opinion whats better to use, general cure or sea hem metroplex?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion whats better to use, general cure or sea hem metroplex?

General Cure has both metronidazole and praziquantel in it, the the expected range of treatment is greater (protozoans as well as flukes).

Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will general cure remove ich and velvet?

Not very well, better for ich, but doesn't work fast enough for velvet. The prazi component is of no use for these two diseases, just the metro. IMO, Copperafe or Copper Power is better that GC for these diseases.

Jay

Upvote 0

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back