Can you save live sand?

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much I was going to end up using so I order 40lbs of live sand. Ended up only using 10lbs of it. Is there anyway for me to save/store it properly for later use. I could throw some on the bottom of my fuge. Is that recommended? Or should I just try to give it away to a fellow reefer?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dry it out and use it later on down the road. A 5 gallon food grade bucket works just fine. Just be sure when you decide to put the sand back into commission you rinse it well and dry it out before use :)

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dry it out and use it later on down the road. A 5 gallon food grade bucket works just fine. Just be sure when you decide to put the sand back into commission you rinse it well and dry it out before use :)
By dry it out do you mean just air drying? What is your opinion on sand at the bottom of a fuge?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By dry it out do you mean just air drying? What is your opinion on sand at the bottom of a fuge?
Yup, air drying. And honestly, I tried the whole sand fuge thing and didnt like it. Made more of a mess than anything ;)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a significant fuge, but only lr rubble and chaeto, I don't want sand near my pumps, and it's not needed.

I agree, store bought live sand has a shelf life, give away, sell, or store dry

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a Large enough sump Put the sand in buckets and Place in the sump. DEEP SAND BED in a Bucket.. But to just dump it into the sump or fuge is a mess and just something else you need to clean

Back