Can you use Dr. Tim's One and Only Freshwater in a saltwater tank?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought 2 bottles of Dr. Tims and accidently bought freshwater ones from the fish store so I understand that they aren't salt ones, but is there any harm if i add them anyways? I can't return them because I opened them already so i would rather not throw them out? Will go back this weekend and get the right ones but i dont see any issues adding them right? The other starters like API say safe for both fresh and saltwater on the same bottle, I just assume the strain might not adapt the salinity as well or something?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in no way can it harm it might just work. there are several strains that cycle both marine and fw from same inoculation source

tetra from wal mart is one/its on the label

and I think biospira does as well we'd have to read. your test cannot harm.

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 bottles of Dr. Tims and accidently bought freshwater ones from the fish store so I understand that they aren't salt ones, but is there any harm if i add them anyways? I can't return them because I opened them already so i would rather not throw them out? Will go back this weekend and get the right ones but i dont see any issues adding them right? The other starters like API say safe for both fresh and saltwater on the same bottle, I just assume the strain might not adapt the salinity as well or something?
Do you have any results from this test of freshwater dr tim's one and only in a saltwater tank? I realized I ran into this same dilemma a week after adding the entire bottle. Will I be fine or should I do a 100% water change?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All likelihood it will not work, as there are different strains of bacteria for fresh vs marine. Perhaps the both size fits formula of api is why many do not have good results with that brand.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back