Freshwater Phytoplankton in a reef tank?

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all bit of a strange one but I couldn't find any previous posts. Would freshwater phytoplankton still be a beneficial addition to a reef tank? And if so any reason not to culture outside?

I have a spare glass aquarium left outside before moving to storage after breaking down a cherry shrimp tank, this filled with rain water and even with the limited sun during the winter here in the UK it is now full of "green water" which I am assuming is phytoplankton. I have added nothing to this outside tank but it likely has nitrate and phosphate left from the shrimp tank.

Would this freshwater phyto be beneficial to a reef tank even if would just die right away when it enters salt water? Would it even die right away?

While I do have a small marine phyto culture inside just leaving a glass tank outside and getting usable phyto seems much easier and larger volumes.

Thanks and apologies if its a ridiculous idea.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would not add it to my tank. You assume its phyto just because its green, but sounds like it is just a box of stagnant green water left outdoors for unknown amount of time. Who knows what crawled in there?

OP
OP
V

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. Sounds like potentially a bad idea. Worth asking though maybe I will try some sort of semi sealed unit and try marine phyto outside.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back