Phytoplankton density ?

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am culturing phytoplankton that at about 9 days, it declines, so I have to harvest it. I have watched too many videos and searched all over R2R but I cannot find how to make my phytoplankton darker/denser.

Should I increase saltwater and 2nd dose the F/2 fertilizer?

LFS suggested trying adding CO2 which makes me wonder what the pH would turn?

Suggestions?

My setup is 1 gallon containers. 80% full of 1.020 saltwater. 2ml of F/2. 4-5 oz of starter phyto culture. Lights on 24/7.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am culturing phytoplankton that at about 9 days, it declines, so I have to harvest it. I have watched too many videos and searched all over R2R but I cannot find how to make my phytoplankton darker/denser.

Should I increase saltwater and 2nd dose the F/2 fertilizer?

LFS suggested trying adding CO2 which makes me wonder what the pH would turn?

Suggestions?

My setup is 1 gallon containers. 80% full of 1.020 saltwater. 2ml of F/2. 4-5 oz of starter phyto culture. Lights on 24/7.
I suggest you harvest every 5 days and not try to get high density (dark). Fertilize every 5 days when adding to culture.

floridareeflabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want it to be almost "black" looking and no light coming through if possible. It depends on airation and f/2 and lighting but also salinity to achieve that level of darkness. The darker you get it the more cells you have and the less you need to start with for your next harvest.

Also, if you harvest too soon you are adding that fertilizer to your tank. You should typically see f/2 depleted in 10-12 days if dosing right (as well as growing conditions right) but also you can test the nitrates of a sample and ensure they are almost at 0 to know if you depleted the f/2. If too light then not enough f/2 to start with or it depleted and you have die off starting etc.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want it to be almost "black" looking and no light coming through if possible. It depends on airation and f/2 and lighting but also salinity to achieve that level of darkness. The darker you get it the more cells you have and the less you need to start with for your next harvest.

Also, if you harvest too soon you are adding that fertilizer to your tank. You should typically see f/2 depleted in 10-12 days if dosing right (as well as growing conditions right) but also you can test the nitrates of a sample and ensure they are almost at 0 to know if you depleted the f/2. If too light then not enough f/2 to start with or it depleted and you have die off starting etc.
Thank you - that gives me ways to measure. I had not thought about F/2 going in the tank, nor testing the culture. I am using 1.020 salinity to start.

Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What salinity do you culture at?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back