Can you use milk to add calcium to your aquarium?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use milk to increase calcium in an aquarium. Or would it kill your fish. Would live to know because then when my fish are low of calcium I have to go to my fridge instead of the fish store.
no, its only good for cookie cutter sharks

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the brand of milk you are suggesting?

Attachments

• 1639498896219.png
    1639498896219.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 32

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would urge caution if trying this. It is actually quite difficult to balance yourself on top of the aquarium while controlling the dosing quantity at the same time. Also it is important not to dip your ‘dosing pipette’ into the tank water itself.
I have never laughed so hard at something on this forum ever XD

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, in complete seriousness, there was an SPS reefer in Taiwan back in 2014 who dosed his tank with literal milk and honey (if you google “dose milk and honey reef tank” you’ll see a ton of results about it) and it seemed to work for him.

My understanding is he used the milk for nutrients and the honey as a carbon replacement, but I could be off there. Anyway, his tank looked pretty good, but I don’t know if anyone would recommend the approach.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, in complete seriousness, there was an SPS reefer in Taiwan back in 2014 who dosed his tank with literal milk and honey (if you google “dose milk and honey reef tank” you’ll see a ton of results about it) and it seemed to work for him.

My understanding is he used the milk for nutrients and the honey as a carbon replacement, but I could be off there. Anyway, his tank looked pretty good, but I don’t know if anyone would recommend the approach.
We use sugar for carbon dosing so the honey makes sense. I think it would take a lot of milk to reach desired calcium. Might be an effective source for minor elements or carbon dosing idk but lets get down to brass tacks here. Pasteurized or unpasteurized?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% wouldn't be surprised to hear in the future that milk has been discovered to be great for tanks. I also heard someone on R2R saying that they actually did pee in their tank to get it started. "cheap and easy".
But you have to buy a step ladder first.

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley say something please, I’m lost and I need an adult before I buy a bunch of pharma grade catfish milk.
Maybe we do things different growing up in south Louisiana, but we did not milk our catfish. We sometimes soaked them in milk then battered and fried them. I was not aware fish had nipples, i've skinned and cleaned my share. I guess you learn something new every day. Where exactly are the mammaries on a fish, and what the heck is "catfish milk"? :confused: I bet it tastes pretty muddy till it's been pasteurized?;)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we do things different growing up in south Louisiana, but we did not milk our catfish. We sometimes soaked them in milk then battered and fried them. I was not aware fish had nipples, i've skinned and cleaned my share. I guess you learn something new every day. Where exactly are the mammaries on a fish, and what the heck is "catfish milk"? :confused: I bet it tastes pretty muddy till it's been pasteurized?;)
It might be the boy parts that get "milked".

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back