Can Zoas / Palys spread beyond their rock?

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Palythoa frags I had glued to a piece of rubble rock. Both are always open during light periods, full of color and doing great, and after a month I'm now seeing new polyps growing from both (so cool and exciting to see!). The rubble rock is currently on the sandbed, and there is about 2 inches of space between the two frags with each on different ends of the rock.

So just thinking about the longterm, I was wondering if zoas/palys could spread outside the rock and onto the sandbed, or if they'll just stop growing new polyps once the rock real estate runs out? A nice concern to have of course!

Propagation would be the best control and answer to a crowded rock, but right now even after watching several videos of different techniques I'm nervous about cutting off polyps for fear of damaging a healthy coral.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have two Palythoa frags I had glued to a piece of rubble rock. Both are always open during light periods, full of color and doing great, and after a month I'm now seeing new polyps growing from both (so cool and exciting to see!). The rubble rock is currently on the sandbed, and there is about 2 inches of space between the two frags with each on different ends of the rock.

So just thinking about the longterm, I was wondering if zoas/palys could spread outside the rock and onto the sandbed, or if they'll just stop growing new polyps once the rock real estate runs out? A nice concern to have of course!

Propagation would be the best control and answer to a crowded rock, but right now even after watching several videos of different techniques I'm nervous about cutting off polyps for fear of damaging a healthy coral.
Always as mine frequently does

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moana zoas …. Sorry Dad joke
GIF by Moana

aaraya1516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had zoas spread to the bed, it wasn't fine sand though.
When they got big and started getting on the bed I used a fraging kit to cut the zoas and propagate to other rocks. Just use a CLEAN scalpel and cut the polyps off as they hit the sand. Glue them to other rocks and watch them spread like crazy.

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the rock is filled, i have seeen them especially protopaly detach, float, and attach to another rock. So just beware.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back