Cancun's Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL upgrade

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! Yep in the St. Louis area. The Corner Reef delivered the tank for me and took my old tank. The old tank sold in about a week. I had them order the tank and bring it out.....I didn't want the headache of moving it inside. It is a beast! I also had them build the stand, hook up the sump etc. I moved all my live stock, and made and filled it with my saltwater. I did buy a extra 50lbs of live Rock from them, also about 100lbs of new live sand from them also. Do you currently have a tank, or is this a new adventure for you? I am loving this tank so far!

I have 2 tanks, my original 40 gallon in my home office and a standard 6ft 125 in the basement. I have decided that 2 tanks on different floors is a lot of work and I’m not a fan of the stand height on the 125. I have to maneuver my skimmer cup off and there wasn’t a lot of space for a refugium so mine is small. So been looking at a bigger tank to combine those 2 into one tank to take care of and been talking to them about the 750 or a Planet. The planet could be bigger but by the time I get their taller stand, a sump, plumbing, and so on the price difference is not much so been leaning Red Sea.

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched your video from a few pages back. I was amazed at how well all those wrasses get along. They all just swim around and respect each other’s space. Pretty cool. Beautiful tank!

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched your video from a few pages back. I was amazed at how well all those wrasses get along. They all just swim around and respect each other’s space. Pretty cool. Beautiful tank!
Thanks! Yea mixing Wrasses is tough. I don't use a acclimation box, so in the beginning I had a couple of problem Wrasses that I had to rehome. After that I was more careful in my selection of Wrasses, but even then it is never a sure thing! The Wrasses in the video all came from my 80 gallon. They got along in that tank also....but it was time for a upgrade after 5 years with the 80. [emoji16]

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks, my original 40 gallon in my home office and a standard 6ft 125 in the basement. I have decided that 2 tanks on different floors is a lot of work and I’m not a fan of the stand height on the 125. I have to maneuver my skimmer cup off and there wasn’t a lot of space for a refugium so mine is small. So been looking at a bigger tank to combine those 2 into one tank to take care of and been talking to them about the 750 or a Planet. The planet could be bigger but by the time I get their taller stand, a sump, plumbing, and so on the price difference is not much so been leaning Red Sea.
I don't blame you.... taking care of two tanks would be tough. I am happy with my decision on this tank. I know the Corner Reef really well, and their employees, so it was a painless experience. They do get busy this time of year so if you pull the trigger make sure you get on their schedule. It took about a week for Red Sea to deliver the tank to them. So keep that in mind.

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of new rainbow bubble tip nem and new Haddoni with blues on....and whole tank shot with blues on...
a799da5de34ce904e996509484cc4457.jpg
d3277406d72fc1c19481f9e74d517168.jpg
8d3dd505db6595c93b7f3053db522d3c.jpg
0c31316d2144b5943c91d667473e0c7e.jpg
e867bd83264015a0bc801b9cb785fe71.jpg
51fb42d1cc0c693e708263b34ca93746.jpg
cdc783b38f72706a60c4652c8354bf22.jpg

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stopped by Corner Reef on Saturday to ask some more questions about the Red Sea vs Planet. Have another question for you if you have a moment. How much space do you have above the skimmer cup? I have the Classic 200INT which is about a half inch taller than yours so just curious what kind of space you have above yours. I couldn't tell from the pictures. Thanks.

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped by Corner Reef on Saturday to ask some more questions about the Red Sea vs Planet. Have another question for you if you have a moment. How much space do you have above the skimmer cup? I have the Classic 200INT which is about a half inch taller than yours so just curious what kind of space you have above yours. I couldn't tell from the pictures. Thanks.
Hi....my guess is about 10-12 inches from the top of the collection cup to the top of the cabinet. I took a close up picture....hope that helps.....
63a869edcc9a9a167185893ca3149c7b.jpg

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, appreciate it. If I end up with the 750 it'll feel like I have endless space above my skimmer compared to what I have now, I can only get the cup out now with the lid off and it still barely comes out.

If I upgrade I was debating looking into a neck cleaner for the skimmer if there's enough height. I don't see a ton of them used but I'd think they'd be useful.

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, appreciate it. If I end up with the 750 it'll feel like I have endless space above my skimmer compared to what I have now, I can only get the cup out now with the lid off and it still barely comes out.

If I upgrade I was debating looking into a neck cleaner for the skimmer if there's enough height. I don't see a ton of them used but I'd think they'd be useful.
That would be a good idea. I have no issues getting my skimmer out, but like you said yours is a tad taller. Did Steve at Corner Reef give you good info to help you with your decision?

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure if he helped me come to any decisions yet, but he does answer my questions, and I ask a lot of those. They have a bigger custom planet aquarium in one of their vans awaiting delivery that they showed me that is also nice which has muddied the waters some.

If I went with a planet I could go bigger than the 160 gallon display of the 750 but I'd have to buy a stand, sump, plumbing, etc. and by the time you add all that up I'm close to the same price as the 750. I know I can build a stand, and I did build the stand for my 40 gallon, but in doing so I learned that I do not possess the know-how/ability to build a stand that doesn't look home-made.

I really like the looks of the Red Sea, I like the sump, the stand height, the separate area for equipment. About the only thing that seems to be a bummer is the metric plumbing. I have an Apex FMM that I'd like to use that wouldn't be easy to implement with the metric pipes.

So it's basically down to is 160 big enough to keep me happy.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if he helped me come to any decisions yet, but he does answer my questions, and I ask a lot of those. They have a bigger custom planet aquarium in one of their vans awaiting delivery that they showed me that is also nice which has muddied the waters some.

If I went with a planet I could go bigger than the 160 gallon display of the 750 but I'd have to buy a stand, sump, plumbing, etc. and by the time you add all that up I'm close to the same price as the 750. I know I can build a stand, and I did build the stand for my 40 gallon, but in doing so I learned that I do not possess the know-how/ability to build a stand that doesn't look home-made.

I really like the looks of the Red Sea, I like the sump, the stand height, the separate area for equipment. About the only thing that seems to be a bummer is the metric plumbing. I have an Apex FMM that I'd like to use that wouldn't be easy to implement with the metric pipes.

So it's basically down to is 160 big enough to keep me happy.

If you can work with pvc pipes then you can use your fmm only need to get two more read sea parts and three 3/4 nps male to slip adaptors with a few extra wraps of tape.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can work with pvc pipes then you can use your fmm only need to get two more read sea parts and three 3/4 nps male to slip adaptors with a few extra wraps of tape.

Thanks. I have seen this mentioned. Anybody run into any leaks with that? I thought about running the metric pipe a short distance and then cutting it and using a metic converter and running the rest with standard pipes and the flow meter.

chez8477

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also bought this return line upgrade kit from Vivid Creative Aquatics. So far I really like it. Sorry for the cloudy pic.....my Wrasses decided to make a sand storm as I was putting it on! LOL!
96dbc5b79e0f54dc73e641fdf2ad7f35.jpg
f27916a6f29b7a32ac9c1644b031fa24.jpg
How do you like the upgrade kit? I just purchased one and waiting on it to arrive.

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me do a quick update.....I bought a small female Lamarck Angelfish several weeks ago......he started picking on my Acan colonies from day 1. He didn't out right eat any but he picked at them so much they stayed closed. I waited a few weeks to see if he would chill out but he just got worse. So Monday I took him back to my LFS. Perfect example of how no Angelfish is 100% reef safe. I took a risk and I know your odds are better with a genicanthus but not 100%.

Now all my Acans are all puffed up again and happy! [emoji16]

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back