OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might try it out. I currently mix and make my water in the garage. My mixing barrel is on wheels so I move it to my daughters bedroom window and pump the water to my tank from there lol. It’s only about 20 feet from there. But from my garage it’s an easy 60’ or so.
LOL! It should work! Give it a try for sure! I am so glad I don't have carry 5 gallon containers from my basement up stairs anymore! Makes water changes do much easier! [emoji16]

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....we have been busy tonight! We mounted our electrical surge protectors, and drilled a hole in the floor so we can pump both RODI water and saltwater from the basement. My mixing station and RODI unit is in the basement. We tested it with a utility pump we bought and it works! Yea!! No more carrying heavy 5 gallon water jugs up from the basement every week!!!! Plus we have a pump we will sit in the sump to pump water down stairs too! Thanks for following me in this journey!!! [emoji16]

Pics below!
fe0554a9f0883388219cbce12ada66a2.jpg
c657011f1d611a58a5ad1022a06b39f6.jpg
693223ad3b69c71b70985b82cb78d2f2.jpg
9e68dd2fda759de379f21b9ba2aea475.jpg
d1575f37c581304df43e53b84078669b.jpg
8072587eadcdd428847988870d2e02d3.jpg
f363d1ae410cfa2001dbc4244c0cfc38.jpg
The downfall of living in Florida..no basements :rolleyes: I make my water in the garage, put it in a Brute on wheels, roll up the runners, and wheel it into the living room. Cleaning isn't as bad. I use a Python and run it from the hose through the front door

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The downfall of living in Florida..no basements :rolleyes: I make my water in the garage, put it in a Brute on wheels, roll up the runners, and wheel it into the living room. Cleaning isn't as bad. I use a Python and run it from the hose through the front door
LOL! Oh I hear you! However my husband and I would LOVE to live in Florida! As close to the beach as possible! [emoji16]

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go with Red Sea lid....I almost did but glad I didn't. There is no way I could out that together! Clearview lids were great....it does take several weeks to get it though! My husband was like I am not going to attempt to put that Red Sea lid together! LOL! He does the electrical stuff on the tank, changes out my RODI filters and resin, and helps with water changes, but that is it. The rest of the tank is all my responsibility. When I started in this hobby I got a 29 gallon Biocube, than a year later a Innovative Marine SR80, and now this tank. My husband was like if you want to do this hobby I will help with mechanical stuff and electrical stuff, but it is your hobby so you have to do the tank stuff. He said don't come to me and say I am afraid of putting my hand in the tank etc etc.....lol....so I thought....that's fair.....but like you once your hooked your hooked!

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Well this tank is a upgrade from my existing tank. My tank was a Innovative Marine SR80. I put the new tank in a different location, so I was able to move everything over when the new tank was ready. I know I was overstocked, please don't judge me! LOL! My current fish I have had a long time are:

1. Red Coris Wrasse
2. Earmuff Wrasse
3. Yellow Coris Wrasse X 2
4. Blue Star Leopard Wrasse X 2
5. Melegris Leopard Wrasse X 2
6. Moyers Leopard Wrasse
7. Male Melanarus Wrasse
8. Solar Fairy Wrasse
9. Purple Tang
10. Flame tail Blenny
11. Flame Angel

I moved them over to the new tank last Saturday. All settled in nicely and didn't miss a beat. As far as new fish I probably won't add too many more. These guys have been together a long time, and they all get along great! I would like to add a Midas Blenny, a yellow belly Regal Angel, and lastly a China Wrasse if I can find a healthy specimen that is eatting well. That's about it. As you can tell I LOVE Wrasses! [emoji6]
I lost my Melanarus & McCosker to Velvet. Definitely want wrasses when I restock my tank. I wanted a Leopard, but heard they are difficult. What are your favorites?

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hubby is great for carrying, but he's a bit "technically challenged" and thats putting in mildly. Paid someone to put together my first lid. He messed it up so bad, there wasn't anything salvageable. Did the second one myself...its in my daughters old playroom, propping up a wall:confused:

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my Melanarus & McCosker to Velvet. Definitely want wrasses when I restock my tank. I wanted a Leopard, but heard they are difficult. What are your favorites?
Oh boy I love them all..... leopards are difficult, but once they are acclimated and eatting in your tank they are no more difficult than other Wrasses. I have 13 Wrasses. I think my favorite Leopard is eaither Melegris, blue star, or Moyers. Here is a link to some videos.....so you can see them in action! [emoji16]. The key to leopards is IMO to get them from a LFS and online. Leave them at the LFS for at least a week if not two, make sure they are eatting well before you buy him, and make sure you have a sand bed for them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEaCR-CrH4TFTU3PcoSGR6g

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys been awhile since I posted a update! I added my show piece fish. He is a 6-7 inch adult Emperor Angel. Before that he was in the display tank at my lfs for several months. Been in my display a week. No agression from anybody, eatting good, and very healthy. Sorry for the bad pic. I will get more later. I know he is a risk with my corals and clam.....but one I am willing to take. I will have to rehome them if I notice a issue.
0c1c6bd4d619374de45a81aea83bc028.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great post and you will love the Red Sea tank line. They are well build, clean lines and fantastic support for aquatic life. Having a store assist with setup is a Bonus !! Tanks looks nice !!!!

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post and you will love the Red Sea tank line. They are well build, clean lines and fantastic support for aquatic life. Having a store assist with setup is a Bonus !! Tanks looks nice !!!!
Thanks! I look forward to your build as well! [emoji16]

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

CrazyCarlitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Lovely tank!
Everything looks great

Couple of questions:

- light:
What template are u using for ur Radion xr15 ? And also what intensity (the intensity bar on left)?
How many hours? Gen 3 or 4?

-dosing:
I read that u do 10% water change every Sunday..
are u also dosing? Kalkwasser or 2part?

Thx in adv

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Lovely tank!
Everything looks great

Couple of questions:

- light:
What template are u using for ur Radion xr15 ? And also what intensity (the intensity bar on left)?
How many hours? Gen 3 or 4?

-dosing:
I read that u do 10% water change every Sunday..
are u also dosing? Kalkwasser or 2part?

Thx in adv
Hi! Thanks!

On the lights....they are gen 4, I have 3 of them. They come on at 10am and off at 10pm. They ramp up over a few hours, stay at 100% for about about 6 hours and then ramp down in the evening about 3 hours. Mostly blue with a flat pyamid graph. I will check later if you need more specifics.

I don't dose anything except Red Sea Reed Energy A and B three to four times a week.
I use coral pro salt...... salinity 1.025 high end. Calcium is between 430-450 and Alk around 9-10. No SPS....just LPS and a few softies. If I missed anything let me know, or if you have anymore questions! [emoji16]

CrazyCarlitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thanks!

On the lights....they are gen 4, I have 3 of them. They come on at 10am and off at 10pm. They ramp up over a few hours, stay at 100% for about about 6 hours and then ramp down in the evening about 3 hours. Mostly blue with a flat pyamid graph. I will check later if you need more specifics.

I don't dose anything except Red Sea Reed Energy A and B three to four times a week.
I use coral pro salt...... salinity 1.025 high end. Calcium is between 430-450 and Alk around 9-10. No SPS....just LPS and a few softies. If I missed anything let me know, or if you have anymore questions! [emoji16]
Thanks for quick reply

Are u using a Ecotech template ? Or did u find/make ur own?
100% intensity seems high, especially for gen 4... but ur tank doesn’t look that bright in the pics
What intensity (%) are u running the white spectrum?
Would love to see the graph.

Trying to dial in my lights..lol
But I think I have to give up trying to keep SPS and LPS/soft in one tank. Haha

I suppose u don’t need to dose since u have mostly lps and u do ur 10% water change weekly

Thx again!

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for quick reply

Are u using a Ecotech template ? Or did u find/make ur own?
100% intensity seems high, especially for gen 4... but ur tank doesn’t look that bright in the pics
What intensity (%) are u running the white spectrum?
Would love to see the graph.

Trying to dial in my lights..lol
But I think I have to give up trying to keep SPS and LPS/soft in one tank. Haha

I suppose u don’t need to dose since u have mostly lps and u do ur 10% water change weekly

Thx again!
Hi! You are welcome! My laptop finally died on me, so I am using my phone....as soon as I get a new laptop and get a chance I will copy my graph and put it in here if you want. I used the EchoTech standard template and then tweaked it just a bit. Two of these lights I brought over from sr80, and bought a third one. I can't remember what percentage of white.

Yeah a few years ago I tried to keep a few SPS with my LPS. I tried a month and Acro, both did ok for a while, but I have a lot of fish, so it was tough to keep a low nutrient system. So after several months of trying to keep my nitrates at no more than 1 or 2ppm which I kept loosing that battle, they started loosing color, so I traded them in at my LFS. I would like to try a nice large monti again in this tank though. The Acro is what really went down hill. Nitrates in my system stay around 5-10ppm. Plus LPS need the nitrates. I know some people keep both though with good results. I would love to know there secret. Unless they have hardly any fish, so that keeps their nitrates low. I love fish more than coral though! LOL!

Tell me about your system? What livestock do you have? Any pics? [emoji16]

CrazyCarlitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jbj 28 nano that I got few years ago.
Replaced the led light with Radion xr15pro 3rd gen
Aquamaxx hob skimmer, cobalt neo-therm heater, jbj Arctica chiller, Tunze ato with Kalkwasser, Aqua Medic doser (not using atm) and VorTech mp10

I used to keep rose bubble tip, green tip, and white anemones but lost them all to what I think was bad silversides (and that was first time I tried feeding silversides... never again) so I gave away the maroon clown that was getting too large... along with flame hawk and a damsel.
Also went from sand to bare bottom
Now trying to get it up and running with consistent parameters... before I upgrade to about 70 gallon with sump along with algae scrubber (maybe year?) Don’t want to upgrade too soon. Feel like slow and steady is key in this hobby (besides stable ph, salinity, calcium and alk)

Currently have two new clowns (semi-Picasso and gladiator) with cleaner shrimp, some emeralds and couple of hermits.
Not too many corals, but just bought about 10 from recent wwc live sale. Lol
I have Rasta, fruit loops, Lakers zoas and orange polyp
Couple of Ricordea, 3 different cyphastrea (bizarro is my fav)
For sps, Birdsnest, blueberry field, couple of monti, and Pavona

No latest fts at the moment and the pics I have now are not that great. Lol

B76CBF3F-B0CF-4AE0-A013-42FACDDC127A.jpeg F9514294-8764-4022-B492-96AD1ABDAF8D.jpeg A34759FE-90D1-4685-91A1-FECD5BE176C0.jpeg 63264F1C-0EEF-44D2-99BE-7F3BFCC5FF6C.jpeg
56692C73-AA8C-4D96-A066-21A379FC0476.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back