Canister Filter - does it have anything I need? (algae reactor)?

TanyaFrom MD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at the very early stage of planning my first reef aquarium and gathering intel :)
Canister filters have biological filtration - does it substitute Algae reactor?
If I get Canister filter Fluval FX4 - does it have anything I need (sump wise - protein skimmer and algae filter) or what do I need to get in addition to that canister filter? I plan to get 75 gal tank ….

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A canister filter is not a sump, but a completely different way of doing filtration. They would work, but if you have the option, I would look into a sump setup.
An algae reactor is yet another type of filter used for nutrient export.
There are many ways to skin a reef, but if you are just starting out, and have options, there are better choices than a canister filter for a reef tank.
A sump allows for a better protein skimmer and generally has room for additional equipment that comes in handy.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at the very early stage of planning my first reef aquarium and gathering intel :)
Canister filters have biological filtration - does it substitute Algae reactor?
If I get Canister filter Fluval FX4 - does it have anything I need (sump wise - protein skimmer and algae filter) or what do I need to get in addition to that canister filter? I plan to get 75 gal tank ….

Why not get a sump? Most saltwater peeps prefer a sump. Live rock in the Display Tank acts as biological filtration. Filter sock and or skimmer as mechanical, maybe carbon as chemical. None of this is necessary. A canister filter will work just fine, it will provide mechanical, biological, and chemical filtration. One downside is that it likely will need to be opened once a month or so and cleaned out, or nitrate can build up from trapped detritus in your mechananichal (sponges), biological (ceramic rings), and chemical (whatever chemical you decide to put or not put).

A sump will give you room to put a protein skimmer, a heater, a thermometer, various probes and plumbing such as for a chiller or reactor. A sump can also have a refugium, which is basically a small planted area that helps reduce nitrates.

I'm pretty new here but just throwing some basic things out there. I am no expert by any means. There are many ways to reef and a canister filter can be one of them. Just know that without a sump you will have to plan where all the above mentions things will go at least for the necessary ones like a heater and what not.

Last edited:

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ndrwater beat me to it!

I believe an algea scrubber is a little more advanced way to remove nutrients and I don't think you would necessarily need to install an algea scrubber right away. It may be smart to plan space for an algea scrubber if it is something you are interested in. An algea scrubber does not come inside any canister filters as far as I know. I would get your main mechanical and biological filtration figured out and then start looking into an algea scrubber if you feel necessary. I have not gotten that far myself yet.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just know that with filtration, lightning, other equipment, you will likely easily spend an easy 2K before you even get your aquarium wet.

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to set your expectations.

Good lights for corals can easily run $500 to $1000 per light and for a 4' tank you would likely need two.

Here is a picture of my sump, and a couple of my aquarium.

I can explain what each component is if you'd like. In the middle I have biological media (ceramic rings and bioballs). Most servers wouldn't use these but I have them there in case I need to "seed" another QT tank in a hurry. I rinse them often in my dirty tank water.

20181216_144558.jpg

20190118_184331.jpg

20181208_160443.jpg

OP
OP
T

TanyaFrom MD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! for me as a beginner sump looks tremendously complicated versus relatively simple canister ))) but now I see advantages of sump and I will research more about it. Another question : I live in East Coast and humidity in spring - summer -autumn is horrible. Sump is open - I am afraid it will contribute to air humidity and tank cabinet will mold....

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I have never heard of a tank/stand molding, but I suppose there is always a 1st.
You are correct in thinking that a tank can add to room humidity. People with tanks in their basements, or other very air tight rooms have to deal with this. Usually something like a humidity activated fan.
Depending on the sump, many have lids to keep evaporation to a minimum. Being that our tanks usually have quite a bit of flow, evaporation is a real concern. That's where an ATO (auto top off) comes in. Water evaporates, salt doesn't. Maintaining proper salinity is one of the key things we as reefkeepers keep an eye on. To me, an ATO is an essential piece of equipment.

OP
OP
T

TanyaFrom MD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so sump it is (with the lid and all the bells and whistles). :);Writing;Writing;Writing
Thank you!!!

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so sump it is (with the lid and all the bells and whistles). :);Writing;Writing;Writing
Thank you!!!

With the lid? Most people don't put a lid on a sump. It helps with oxygen and evaporation. Evaporation helps keep things cool as a return pump and skimmer can generate heat.

OP
OP
T

TanyaFrom MD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the lid? Most people don't put a lid on a sump. It helps with oxygen and evaporation. Evaporation helps keep things cool as a return pump and skimmer can generate heat.
That's the problem in very humid climate....all is moldy in the house if dehumidifier not used heavily ….:(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back