Canister filter or sump?

squalo_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really new, I've had a 75 gallons tank for over 3 years now (which is on sale :( since I'm moving), but I'm thinking to have a new 90 gal back home, wondering what are the pros and cons to have a canister filter, my current tank is running on a sump, but where I'm going to install my new tank, I think there's no space for have a sump, I'm considering to install a canister filter. Any advice?

Thank you!

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump is great for added equipment. Canister would need to be cleaned quite often. Instead of canister you could do filter socks, or filter floss and a good skimmer

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally canister filters are regarded as works of the devil. A sump gets your equipment out of sight. It can have the heater. It can have the auto top off. It can have a skimmer. It can have GFO and carbon reactors. No matter how big your sump is, you will probably wish that it was bigger.

thegeb2909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this as I wonder hmmmm could not having a sump be what's wrong with my tank ( has had a milky haze for weeks, 6 weeks into cycle) any whoot, I have always used canisters with no issues. I have a Cascade 1000 in my 30 gal tank, now if I was to consider a sump, is the filtration better, what kind would I need for a 30gal

OP
OP
squalo_75

squalo_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I just got an idea, to improvise a vertical sump inside of my main tank, since I said before I had no space to install a sump. It will separate the kitchen from my living room, so it will have no standart size. Could it works? I'm thinking do it kind of how the canister filter works, one recipient filling the next one on the bottom, like 3 or 4 recipients. Kind of crazy :confused::cool::rolleyes:

OP
OP
squalo_75

squalo_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ash9965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add that Purigen into a sump? Or is just for the canister filters? Never heard about it before.
the ones I buy are in a bag and need to be in direct line with water flow to filter properly not sure how you could put it in sump unless you maybe put it in a fitter sock . But its great stuff for cleaning your water and can be cleaned and reactivated and reused but they are so cheap I just end up buying a new one.

Celbrise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go sump. I am running a cannister on my 55gal tank and I feel it doesn't do a great job on filtration. I believe it is at the very least 120gpH if not more even. The intake seems very weak and the return nozzle is the same. It's a flUvAL 306. Space is also limited in the cannister I have carbon bags and puri gen I'm them. Maybe I just need a stronger model idk but I feel a sump would do a better job. I never had a sump since this tank was already set up for a few years already and I was broke at the time. I do also have a hob skimmer and it's just a mess. If kept on top of maintenance it looks good but with maybe 2 weeks neglect it looks like a nightmare. I rat her more space for fish and more water from a sump then a cannister.

thegeb2909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go sump. I am running a cannister on my 55gal tank and I feel it doesn't do a great job on filtration. I believe it is at the very least 120gpH if not more even. The intake seems very weak and the return nozzle is the same. It's a flUvAL 306. Space is also limited in the cannister I have carbon bags and puri gen I'm them. Maybe I just need a stronger model idk but I feel a sump would do a better job. I never had a sump since this tank was already set up for a few years already and I was broke at the time. I do also have a hob skimmer and it's just a mess. If kept on top of maintenance it looks good but with maybe 2 weeks neglect it looks like a nightmare. I rat her more space for fish and more water from a sump then a cannister.

Yea that seems to be the norm, a sump, now what brands are there, how do you figure out what kind to get.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a canister on my current tank for a few weeks while I got my sump finished. It was horrible lol. I hate having to take them apart and clean them, then priming them. Plus I like to have as little equipment as possible in the DT, so a sump gives you a place to put skimmers and reactors, not to mention a fuge for macro;) if you can make it work you will be much happier with the sump:)

jrose323

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that seems to be the norm, a sump, now what brands are there, how do you figure out what kind to get.

Personally, I like precision marine sumps. They have more compartments than the usual sump for skimmers, reactors, etc; plus have an area for a refugium.

http://www.precisionmarine.com/

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100% I would go with a sump!

Bill Bolton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your tank sits on the floor, you have room for a sump.
It doesn't have to be a pre made one, find a tank that fits the dimensions of your stand, get dividers cut and build one. If you are remotely competent with tools, you can even build one out of acrylic. Sumps are easy to make as Top Ramen!

A canister is a complete and total waste of time and money. They are straight up nitrate factories and no reef keeper with experience will allow them near their reef tank.
For fresh water, Fluval and Eheim make about the best, but for that kind of money, you could build a really nice sump.
There are so many designs and plans on the Web for DIY sumps and sump/fuge combos.
The cool thing is that even if it turns out ugly with silicone all over......it's out of sight. No one will see your mistakes, and you have pride that you did it yourself!
I'm sure plenty people here, myself included are willing to help with any advice you need or ask for!

mibwb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I just got an idea, to improvise a vertical sump inside of my main tank, since I said before I had no space to install a sump. It will separate the kitchen from my living room, so it will have no standart size. Could it works? I'm thinking do it kind of how the canister filter works, one recipient filling the next one on the bottom, like 3 or 4 recipients. Kind of crazy :confused::cool::rolleyes:

They do that in the Philippines...kind of like a bio cube...but before the bio cube

mibwb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your tank sits on the floor, you have room for a sump.
It doesn't have to be a pre made one, find a tank that fits the dimensions of your stand, get dividers cut and build one. If you are remotely competent with tools, you can even build one out of acrylic. Sumps are easy to make as Top Ramen!

A canister is a complete and total waste of time and money. They are straight up nitrate factories and no reef keeper with experience will allow them near their reef tank.
For fresh water, Fluval and Eheim make about the best, but for that kind of money, you could build a really nice sump.
There are so many designs and plans on the Web for DIY sumps and sump/fuge combos.
The cool thing is that even if it turns out ugly with silicone all over......it's out of sight. No one will see your mistakes, and you have pride that you did it yourself!
I'm sure plenty people here, myself included are willing to help with any advice you need or ask for!

x2

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back