Canister filter?

WolfDaddysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post. Coming from the freshwater side of the hobby I really wanted to keep the look and feel of lily pipes. The only way to get the ADA look is to use glassware, the only way to use glass lily pipes was to use a canister, plus I did not have space for a sump. I got the Hydor 450 for $220. I run 3 trays of sea chem matrix, purigen, carbon and phosban. I clean and replace chemical filtration every week. If you want to see the tank it’s on Instagram “wolfdaddysreef”. The tank has only been up since June but I would not try and dissuade anyone from using canister filter nor would I say that they are the ideal choice for saltwater. They require you to not miss a beat with maintenance.

Attachments

• 0A13BC63-95A9-4279-B72A-BFBB6B46868B.jpeg
    0A13BC63-95A9-4279-B72A-BFBB6B46868B.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 111

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WolfDaddysReef Good job and nice tank!

And thanks for the maintenance reminder. I think I'll go spend 20-minutes cleaning both of my tanks that use Oase canisters while we wait for someone to fess-up about how much time they spend each week changing/cleaning filter socks. Pick your poison people and be comfortable with your choices.

To the OP of this thread... I haven't read any post from someone with a 10-gal sump on a 75-gal tank that's happy with it. Sump users (which I have one of those too) are like everyone else, always looking to improve, to upgrade, to evolve. And you aren't going to find many options in commercially available sumps for $200 or less, especially when you factor in the return pump and skimmer costs.

I apologize for the ensuing canister vs. sump debate that followed. Feel free to ask more questions, please!

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna buy a new canister filter for my 75 gal salt tank. Whats a good filter under $200?
Attempting a direct answer to your question...

I can't find what I personally can vouch for as a GOOD one for under $200. You're going to want 300+ gph effective flow at roughly 1.5 meter head height (75-gal on a typical 32" high stand with filtration directly underneath), and that puts you in the Big-boy class of filters (Biomaster 600-850, Fluval FX4/FX6, Eheim ???, ...).

You could go OKAY-grade Chinese like a Sunsun HW-3000, but you must check it very carefully for shipping damage and be prepared to at a minimum, replace the canister seal o-ring with a thicker and better grade purchased from McMaster Carr or Grainger. Message me if you want the o-ring info.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I understand that, I would rather go with a sump, but when the option isn't available. This is the only solution.

Yes that's exactly where I am, TBay all day.
Awesome, quite a few Canadians on the forum I've noticed... I don't have a sump either. HOB skimmer, polishing powerhead, and a UV. That's it.
Perhaps back in the day I wasn't cleaning the canister as often as I should. I was lazy at times in my 20's lol.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give you a 2215 Eheim filter but I live on Long Island New York so if you are ever in the neighborhood, you can have it. :cool:

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attempting a direct answer to your question...

I can't find what I personally can vouch for as a GOOD one for under $200. You're going to want 300+ gph effective flow at roughly 1.5 meter head height (75-gal on a typical 32" high stand with filtration directly underneath), and that puts you in the Big-boy class of filters (Biomaster 600-850, Fluval FX4/FX6, Eheim ???, ...).

You could go OKAY-grade Chinese like a Sunsun HW-3000, but you must check it very carefully for shipping damage and be prepared to at a minimum, replace the canister seal o-ring with a thicker and better grade purchased from McMaster Carr or Grainger. Message me if you want the o-ring info.
I appreciate it. I decided to go with a fx4 because i dont trust the cheap sketchy chinese filters that leak.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it. I decided to go with a fx4 because i dont trust the cheap sketchy chinese filters that leak.
Do yourself a favor and buy an extra set of foam off Amazon. You can get aftermarket here.
Cleaning the FXn is so much easier when you have a clean set of foam ready to go.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t gotten it wet yet and are looking for the cheapest and best canister filter, there is no question in my mind... go with Penn-Plax Cascade. I have owned two different Fluvals, an Ehiem, and have been running reef tanks on nothing but canisters for around 15 years. I’ve never owned a sump. I have posted many times that I will never argue the benefits to a sump, I’ll only state that you can run a reef on a canister.

Anyway, I’m sorry I didn’t see this post earlier but it’s seriously worth it to go with the PennPlax. I’ll explain:

Fluval has a design where they have a cover over the impeller that is more easily removable for maintenance. It’s smart in theory but over time it fails. You can buy replacements but the PennPlax has a completely sealed head unit. Also, the Cascade modes have very generic baskets, allowing you to add whatever media you want in whatever order. You don’t have to buy proprietary material that is brand-specific.

I know I’m late to the party, but you can check out my other posts if you are interested. If you decide to stay with the Fluval, I’m sure you’ll be fine. To be clear, I’m responding to the original question about the best canister for the least amount of money,

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why people think a canister is more trouble than its worth?
It’s definitely doable but canisters can be a pain to maintain. They can lead to high nitrates when neglected. It’s definitely doable I’ve done it I have a buddy that does it. You just have to be honest with yourself. If you can keep up with maintenance your fine.
Edit: I’ve used the penn plex canister filter before it worked fine. Mine was the one rated for 75 gallons and I used it on a 40 Breeder. Everything worked great until I eventually slacked off and stoped doing the maintenance. Then the whole tank was bright red with cyano:p

Last edited:

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post. Coming from the freshwater side of the hobby I really wanted to keep the look and feel of lily pipes. The only way to get the ADA look is to use glassware, the only way to use glass lily pipes was to use a canister, plus I did not have space for a sump. I got the Hydor 450 for $220. I run 3 trays of sea chem matrix, purigen, carbon and phosban. I clean and replace chemical filtration every week. If you want to see the tank it’s on Instagram “wolfdaddysreef”. The tank has only been up since June but I would not try and dissuade anyone from using canister filter nor would I say that they are the ideal choice for saltwater. They require you to not miss a beat with maintenance.
A canister filter will do just fine on a saltwater tank, especially with one like the Hydor Professional, where it has zero water bypass. They are easy to take apart and clean. The biggest problem is we tend to over clean and kill off beneficial bacteria, that's when the tank starts taking a nosedive. No one has mentioned how bad filter socks are and remove beneficial elements from your tank, better off with filter pads.

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A canister filter will do just fine on a saltwater tank, especially with one like the Hydor Professional, where it has zero water bypass. They are easy to take apart and clean. The biggest problem is we tend to over clean and kill off beneficial bacteria, that's when the tank starts taking a nosedive. No one has mentioned how bad filter socks are and remove beneficial elements from your tank, better off with filter pads.
Wait what I don’t want to derail the thread but I have never heard of elements being removed by filter socks?

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t gotten it wet yet and are looking for the cheapest and best canister filter, there is no question in my mind... go with Penn-Plax Cascade. I have owned two different Fluvals, an Ehiem, and have been running reef tanks on nothing but canisters for around 15 years. I’ve never owned a sump. I have posted many times that I will never argue the benefits to a sump, I’ll only state that you can run a reef on a canister.

Anyway, I’m sorry I didn’t see this post earlier but it’s seriously worth it to go with the PennPlax. I’ll explain:

Fluval has a design where they have a cover over the impeller that is more easily removable for maintenance. It’s smart in theory but over time it fails. You can buy replacements but the PennPlax has a completely sealed head unit. Also, the Cascade modes have very generic baskets, allowing you to add whatever media you want in whatever order. You don’t have to buy proprietary material that is brand-specific.

I know I’m late to the party, but you can check out my other posts if you are interested. If you decide to stay with the Fluval, I’m sure you’ll be fine. To be clear, I’m responding to the original question about the best canister for the least amount of money,
I seriously considered the cascade. I was almost gonna get it but i saw another that caught my attention. I was about to spend a bunch on money on a fx4 but i saw a canister filter by odyessa called the CFS 700 for $130 on amazon. Im gonna try my luck with it. I have a 75 gal reef tank and this filter is rated up to 125 gals, no reviews that mention leaks or anything like that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back