Canister filter?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my tank is and does run on canister, so clearly you don't speak for everyone.

Did I ever say that I do?

All I said was I never heard of anyone running one. Then I asked the benefits of one. Clearly you guys love them, so maybe explain why.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All I said was I never heard of anyone running one. Then I asked the benefits of one. Clearly you guys love them, so maybe explain why.
Because it fits under my aquarium, is a fraction of the costs of a sump and everything that entails. And if well maintained, just as good as a sump.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters are great. Just don't let it become a biological filter. I run it with carbon and chemipure for about 20 days then take it off line for a week to 10 days. Clean it, change floss and media and repeat. I like Ehiem. Very high quality.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters are great. Just don't let it become a biological filter. I run it with carbon and chemipure for about 20 days then take it off line for a week to 10 days. Clean it, change floss and media and repeat. I like Ehiem. Very high quality.
Take it off line? How would you have water circulation? You wouldn't shut down your sump for a week to 10 days would you?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of anyone, or any tanks on R2R for that matter who are running canister filters. Clearly some people are as suggestions are being offered. What benefits would you see from one? Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth..

Works like any "reactor". Don't let it become a biological filter unless that is you intention is and then they work for that as well. Not suggested as a bio filter for a reef tank. Live rock and flow.....

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it off line? How would you have water circulation? You wouldn't shut down your sump for a week to 10 days would you?
Dosen't have anything to do with the sump. Turn the valves off and remove it.

20201226_220843.jpg
20201226_220931.jpg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosen't have anything to do with the sump. Turn the valves off and remove it.

20201226_220843.jpg
20201226_220931.jpg
I understand that, when you're running a sump too ( as pictured). But for people like me and only running a canister, then that's not an option.

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 307 on a 40b for a while, was a nightmare for me. So much maintenance compared to a sump which I upgraded to. Honestly for a 75g go buy something big, something with a lot of room for extra media. The 307 is really small for a 75g. 407 at least or step up to an fx6 or something. You can also diy giant bucket canisters, which might be better for you if you are on a budget to be honest. Go watch king of diy canister videos on youtube.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 307 on a 40b for a while, was a nightmare for me. So much maintenance compared to a sump which I upgraded to. Honestly for a 75g go buy something big, something with a lot of room for extra media. The 307 is really small for a 75g. 407 at least or step up to an fx6 or something. You can also diy giant bucket canisters, which might be better for you if you are on a budget to be honest. Go watch king of diy canister videos on youtube.
I didn't have much luck with DIY canisters. I bought/used the self-sealing bucket lids recommended by many, and it did work as long as the return pump was running. However, on tanks like the 75-90 gal sitting on a 36" stand, I found when the return pump stops and the head pressure builds in the bucket, no removeable lid system I found would hold a seal. They all leaked.

I don't have access to big Eheim canisters around here. My options for quality large canisters are Fluval FX4/6 and Oase Biomaster. I can't personally speak of Eheims. I can say every knockoff brand I tried, eventually did develop some type of leak and was unreliable. But that never required me to abandon canisters where they're appropriate, just makes me buy quality Italian or German units instead of Chinese.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have much luck with DIY canisters. I bought/used the self-sealing bucket lids recommended by many, and it did work as long as the return pump was running. However, on tanks like the 75-90 gal sitting on a 36" stand, I found when the return pump stops and the head pressure builds in the bucket, no removeable lid system I found would hold a seal. They all leaked.

I don't have access to big Eheim canisters around here. My options for quality large canisters are Fluval FX4/6 and Oase Biomaster. I can't personally speak of Eheims. I can say every knockoff brand I tried, eventually did develop some type of leak and was unreliable. But that never required me to abandon canisters where they're appropriate, just makes me buy quality Italian or German units instead of Chinese.
I would go with the FX4 or Fx6 if you can fit it, I couldn't fit an Fx6 otherwise I'd have that one, bigger the better.

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works like any "reactor". Don't let it become a biological filter unless that is you intention is and then they work for that as well. Not suggested as a bio filter for a reef tank. Live rock and flow.....
So for a FOWLR you it being a biological filter be okay? I haven’t had any problems with mine, just curious

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not looking hard enough.
20201220_213416.jpg
20201205_131950.jpg
Polish_20201205_150512373.jpg

If you can swing it fx4. Petsmart has them on sale for 200. If not the 406 is a better model for you. The best being the fx4. I used the 406 upgraded to fx4. You can grow sps. Just be diligent on cleaning. Once a month make it a habit.
IMO, If you want the mack-daddy canister filter, go after a Oase Biomaster Thermo 850. You will have to buy it directly from Oase as it's not even listed on Amazon yet.
Oase Biomaster Thermo 850

A Biomaster 600 (non-thermo) is the smallest I would recommend for a 75-gal. I myself prefer the Thermo versions because it eliminates a heater in the display tank. But a non-Thermo 600 can be had for $300.

1609037154707.png
Thanks!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why people think a canister is more trouble than its worth?
I run a minimal system as it sounds like yourself. We have that in common. My reasoning was upon advice years back I was doing too much seeing as I had enough seasoned live rock. As soon as I ditched the canister (carbon mainly ,with some bio) , my corals (softies)took off, I notice no yellow colour as a result, water still clear as a bell. In saying that I assume the risk that if my Sea Cuc, one of my Urchins decides to kick it I better get that corpse outta there stat, or it's real trouble.... the canister was obviously stripping nutrients in MY case, and since that time it's been smooth sailing....
Sleeping Giant? Is this Thunder Bay where half my family is from and I spent many almost midnight summers as a youth???

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the whats the point crowd.

For every reefer that uses a cannister i know 50 with big healthy tanks that don't.

For occasional water polishing cannisters rock because the are so efficient. If your intent however is to run it 24/7 and stuff it full of that wretched bio media junk you might as well go full brain damage and get an undergravel filter plate. Same process.

Trapped deitrus in a cannister filter turns into nitrate super quick because of the water flow. As long as you keep them clean they work great. Not kept cleans they are just nitrate factories and dont filter anything.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a minimal system as it sounds like yourself. We have that in common. My reasoning was upon advice years back I was doing too much seeing as I had enough seasoned live rock. As soon as I ditched the canister (carbon mainly ,with some bio) , my corals (softies)took off, I notice no yellow colour as a result, water still clear as a bell. In saying that I assume the risk that if my Sea Cuc, one of my Urchins decides to kick it I better get that corpse outta there stat, or it's real trouble.... the canister was obviously stripping nutrients in MY case, and since that time it's been smooth sailing....
Sleeping Giant? Is this Thunder Bay where half my family is from and I spent many almost midnight summers as a youth???
Yes I understand that, I would rather go with a sump, but when the option isn't available. This is the only solution.

Yes that's exactly where I am, TBay all day.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the whats the point crowd.

For every reefer that uses a cannister i know 50 with big healthy tanks that don't.

For occasional water polishing cannisters rock because the are so efficient. If your intent however is to run it 24/7 and stuff it full of that wretched bio media junk you might as well go full brain damage and get an undergravel filter plate. Same process.

Trapped deitrus in a cannister filter turns into nitrate super quick because of the water flow. As long as you keep them clean they work great. Not kept cleans they are just nitrate factories and dont filter anything.
I can understand that, but your assuming that most of us don't take care of our canisters. Which I would think we actually do, just like we take care of everything else to do with our aquarium, just as you do I assume.
I only have bio-balls and some filter media in the canister. I have live rock in my aquarium.
My question is why do people with sumps, completely hate on people using canisters? It's just another form of filtration. And as far as I'm concerned, if you haven't used a larger sized canister or used one in the past 6 years I'm sorry but your opinion is out of touch and out of date. Stop hating on another option to help another hobbiest.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my last comment here because clearly I have offended the cult following of canister filter users but I still don't see the advantages. Yes they are probably better than a media reactor if you are using it just as a media reactor for carbon / gfo and water polishing but the cost of a $200 canister filter seems to be more then a reactor / pump combo.

As for using it as a sump how does that even work? How do you stick equipment in it? How could you even run dosing lines or an auto top off in it? This is just my opinion but this seems like substituting something completely different for something else and calling it the same. I just don't see how you can consider a canister filter a sump or like a sump they have some similarities but are completely different objects.

As far as cost you can buy a 10 gallon tank for $10, 1 bulkhead, 1 drill bit and a pump and you're still going to be less than a $200 canister filter. Space constraints a 5 gallon tank then, that's still going to be more water volume then a canister filter. This thread was supposed to be about buying a NEW filter for a 75 gallon reef for $200. For $200 I think you can do better. - It might be tight budget wise but I do feel you can do much better.

This is not hating, this is being perplexed. As far as being out of date I don't see any stores / companies pushing canister filters for reef tanks. Again I'm not saying you can't use them, or they don't work but don't see any serious benefit unless you already happen to have one. As I originally said I had never seen one in use on a reef tank, that doesn't mean reef tanks I've seen didn't have one it just means no one I've seen has pointed to their canister filter as one of the reasons for having a successful tank.

The only reason I even clicked on this thread was it was in the hitchhiker forum and I thought maybe someone found something in their filter..

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back