Canister Filters: Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank. True or False?

Canister filters are a viable, inexpensive way to filter a reef tank.

• Agree

Votes: 397 51.2%
  • Disagree

Votes: 198 25.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 158 20.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 23 3.0%

• Total voters

Lowkey reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I didnt have a build thread for this tank but have most of the info on below link. If you have any questions hit me up. This is a side shot with ATO reservoir and UV filter on top, along with wire management.

wire management.jpeg

Hey i have thay UV on my 255 system. It randomly started leaking have you had this issue?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And again in this thread... I'm going to reiterate that the Oase Biomaster canister filter is a total game-changer design, along with premium quality components. My only problem is they don't make one large enough for a heavily stocked 200-gallon system. For 100-gallon or less, can't be beat when you add a skimming intake (internal overflow box).

1630889215769.png

Lowkey reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And again in this thread... I'm going to reiterate that the Oase Biomaster canister filter is a total game-changer design, along with premium quality components. My only problem is they don't make one large enough for a heavily stocked 200-gallon system. For 100-gallon or less, can't be beat when you add a skimming intake (internal overflow box).

1630889215769.png
Ideally you'd just grab 2 or 3 to divide the load... and increase productivity

Lowkey reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, and I'm seriously considering converting my sump system to exactly that, two Biomaster 850s.

I need to Google this canister i have 3 HW3000 on my 150 reef. If i can bring it down to two canisters... that cuts alot of cost and time.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I neednto Google this canister i have 3 HW3000 on my 150 reef. If i can bring it down to two canisters... that cuts alot of cost and time.
I have extensive experience with the Oase Biomasters, Fluval FX6 and the Sunsun HW3000 and HW5000 canisters. The flow is not as powerful on the Oase. It's more of a European thing where they tend to match a slower flow across media than we do in the USA (where we power flush everything).

I currently own/operate four Oase Biomaster canisters, and have yet to be anything but super-satisfied. The quality is astounding. I do run all but the very top tray full of Seachem Matrix, using Pond Matrix in the bottom tray, then progressing from Pond to regular Matrix as you move up. And the carbon filter foam is the absolute best porosity for saltwater.

Lowkey reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have extensive experience with the Oase Biomasters, Fluval FX6 and the Sunsun HW3000 and HW5000 canisters. The flow is not as powerful on the Oase. It's more of a European thing where they tend to match a slower flow across media than we do in the USA (where we power flush everything).

I currently own/operate four Oase Biomaster canisters, and have yet to be anything but super-satisfied. The quality is astounding. I do run all but the very top tray full of Seachem Matrix, using Pond Matrix in the bottom tray, then progressing from Pond to regular Matrix as you move up. And the carbon filter foam is the absolute best porosity for saltwater.

Yeah flow rates in HW3000 was at i thnk 750... i factor in 450 with media. I mean i run 2 levels with sechem matrix. I would do pond, its just too costly oer weight. The other levels are chemipure blue and chemical pads.

I get contact time. I understand its needed. I oddly factor my wave makers in on overall flow and i am big champion of adding in beneficial bacteria. I add it every week.

Lowkey reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah flow rates in HW3000 was at i thnk 750... i factor in 450 with media. I mean i run 2 levels with sechem matrix. I would do pond, its just too costly oer weight. The other levels are chemipure blue and chemical pads.

I get contact time. I understand its needed. I oddly factor my wave makers in on overall flow and i am big champion of adding in beneficial bacteria. I add it every week.
On thing ive noticed for salt canisters is a crazy build up of sponges and feather dusters. Have you noticed that

Lowkey reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jebao which brand do you have? I never had any leaks but I used PVC cement and fitting so there was no chance of leaks unless it came from the silicone hose.
Its the jebo and just randomly started leaking on the sight glass area... ugh i didnt think to hit thse threads with cement

all2insane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Fluval 307 canister filter together with a HOB protein skimmer on a 15 gallon sps tank (2ft x 1ft x 1ft) . Changed the outlet to glass lily pipe for surface agitation and inlet to glass surface skimmer same as those used in planted tank. I fill most of the tray with Seachem Denitrate and the last top tray with carbon and Rowaphos in filter bag. Had it stocked with 20-30 frags of acroporas, 2 clowns, 1 blenny, 1 goby and 1 wrasse and they grow without issue in the tank. Definitely a viable option if you are willing to clean it up every week which I spent 30 minutes inclusive of performing water changes. My skimmer cup only need emptying once every 2 weeks. Finally hand it over to my friend who wanted to run a simple FOWLR setup. Still running fine in his living room after 2 years.

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can’t even wash the media in the water from the canister without disturbing the organisms?
I pour out the water that is in the canister filter (I dont disturb the sponges and snails, just leave them be sitting wherever they are attached) and I move whatever little crabs I find into the main tank or refugium. I rinse all the media with tap water, then put it all back to together.

I fill the canister with ocean water I have collected the night before before connecting it back to the tank.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On thing ive noticed for salt canisters is a crazy build up of sponges and feather dusters. Have you noticed that
Cleaned my fx4 yesterday and it was a solid block of pineapple sponges inside I couldn't even see the trays when I lifted it out, ya know its been 2 long since you cleaned the filter when... lol

UK softy bloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use SunSun 304B's canister filters on my freshwater and Marine tanks.
I have had them all (5 sunsuns in total) for 4 years now. Never had issues, easy to take apart and clean.
I rinse out the media every 6 months (no less than this, it 'disturbs" the organisms that grow inside.
Takes about 5 - 10 min for each filter.

Cleaning out my marine cansiters out is always interesting. They seem to develop their little ecosystems inside if you dont disturb them to much. I had a quite a few different little crabs, snails, sponges and worms that were very happy living in here. I am thinking they probably helped in keep things clean in there too.
My fluval is encrusted with hard tube worms and sponges, it takes me more time to pick out all the brittle stars and pods than it does to change the media.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look into the planted tank hobby, GreenAqua channel has some excellent advice on canister filters. It is generally agreed ammonia is a huge contributor to nuisance algae. Plant waste such as dead decaying leaves is the major contributor to this issue compared to small schooling fish.

They are proponents of getting the biggest canister possible and DISCARDING the media they come with and filling top to bottom with SeaChem Matrix. The surface area is tremendously better than silly plastic media.

There is no reason an Eheim pro 4+ 600 would not work on as supplemental to a reef tank. The neck detaches for super easy maintenance. My only concern is you may need much larger and more media then practical to stabilize a large reef tank. Every tank is different so it may work.

I am tempted to do this long term on a 150 gallon reef tank with 150 gallon Rubbermaid sump. I have 150 lbs of cure dead rock in sump so curious if it would make much difference for improved stability but have equipment anyway.

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of what we are talking about here depends on several factors.
Your feeding schedule. A lot of us like to feed big . all of that extra food end s up in the first stage of that filter and becomes a mess. In a sump natural bio such as pods bristle worms and other members of a clean up crew can help. You can't have any of that in a canister before disaster.

Back