Maritime mix master: Do you have a water mixing station?

Do you have a water mixing station?

• I currently have a water mixing station.

Votes: 133 55.4%
  • I have had a water mixing station in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not had a water mixing station, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • I have no plans to have a water mixing station.

Votes: 43 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maritime mix master: Do you have a water mixing station?

Many reef keepers make the trip to the local fish store (LFS) to buy pre-mixed saltwater, or they use a series of buckets or other containers that get pulled out every time it is time to mix up salt. Another option that requires space and more upfront cost is to set up a water mixing station. There are variations, but this often involves an RODI unit, a container to hold RODI water, a container to hold saltwater, a pump to mix and move water, and the plumbing to connect it all together. Of course, other options such as additional valves, filters, and automation can be added to the water station. What about your system - do you have a water mixing station? We’d love to see pictures and feel free to share any tips or experiences with your water mixing station!

PeaceRiver_WaterMixingStationB.jpeg

Photo by @Peace River; Mixing station including (2) 65g Norwesco tanks and more.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two brute cans, auto rodi topoff for one can. Takes about 12 hours to fill it from empty. No need to worry about water or carrying buckets.
Same, and I put them on wheels. I roll the RODI container over to refill the ATO reservoir every couple of weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had a dual setup which took up space and i now have in storage.
This is my current one and cant do without it

1712160293244.png

Oh, my other one:

appleton3.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys are a bunch of gangstas. If I do not want to do the brute thing, where can I get a cheap 30-55 g RODI resevoir like the above pictured ones. I dont plan on going all out like some of you as I will have a small 5g top off ATO setup next to tank.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys are a bunch of gangstas. If I do not want to do the brute thing, where can I get a cheap 30-55 g RODI resevoir like the above pictured ones. I dont plan on going all out like some of you as I will have a small 5g top off ATO setup next to tank.
I couldn't find the deal I had gotten like 20 years ago (used) but I remember back then what I had paid was about half the cost of new. Today its like 3x the cost of new back then. Which is why I went with brute cans. I dont remember the exact size but around 200g each. I know I had the salt mix marked and when empty I just dumped a box or rc in after filling to the mark came out to 1.026. I think I paid $500 for both.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three Brute 20g cans for my mixing station. One is used for a DI reservoir for ATO and any other needed uses, one is a fresh saltwater reservoir that s used for AWC and any other needed uses. The third is the mixing tank. It is setup to refill the DI reservoir when it goes low from the RODI unit. When the fresh saltwater reservoir goes low and the mix tank is ready to use the contents of the mix tank is transferred to the fresh saltwater reservoir. Then the mix tank is refilled from the RODI. This is all controlled by my Hydros collective. There is also pumps in the DI and fresh saltwater reservoir where I can push a button and fill containers from either the DI or fresh saltwater reservoir as needed. Here is a couple of photos. The Brute cans are under my workbench. All I have to do is add the salt mix to the mix tank and press a button when the mix tank is ready for use. In the second photo the solenoids used to turn on the RODI unit and fill the specific brute can are at the top of the photo. The dosing pumps in the shelves near the bottom are for AWC and ATO. The tank is 35ft from the garage so the tubing is run up through the attic between the garage and tank. The RODI is on the wall to the right out of sight in the second photo. You can just see part of it in the photo.

IMG_8498.jpeg

IMG_8499.jpeg

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had to figure out a minimal sort of mixing station to setup in my apartment. 10 gallon brute with some hand marked graduations, the lid and a cheap 500GPH SunSun wave pump. No heater cause ambient room temp is usually low 70s and I've found that while letting the water mix for a few hours the wave pump makes temp climb from 72 to 75-76

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back