Canister Filters

ajones2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, I've been out of touch with the forum and hobby for a hot minute. Been trying to buy a house so the tank got put on hold. I'm starting to try and piece it all together again.

First, what does a canister filter do?

Second, is it advisable to run a canister filter and a skimmer?

Third, how does a canister filter hook up to the system?

TankedNTn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Canister will have a suction pipe/hose runs from the tank and a return line that runs back into the tank. Usually the drain line is usually on the opposite side of the tank from the return line. I ran a canister along with a HOB skimmer on my original 55 gallon tank only because it wasn't drilled. They aren't recommended for reef tanks as they have to be cleaned out quite often the keep your nitrates and Phosphates down.

reefjunkie53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to try to set up a reef tank I would recommend looking Into a sump refugium with macro algae you will not have a stable aquarium running a canister filter [IMG_4595.pngATTACH]150157[/ATTACH]
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1400555882.376685.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1400555862.973573.jpg
    ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1400555862.973573.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 114

reefjunkie53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is true they are nitrate and phosphate builders and can get out of hand if not cleaned a lot. You could always go with a overflow kit if you do not have a predrilled tank to set up a sump.

OP
OP
ajones2n

ajones2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice. Wasn't sure I wanted to use a canister filter ran across them and figured I would hit the experts up. BTW that is an incredible tank. I'm planning on setting up a refugium sump, and ats. From what i've been told this should cover my bases.

Next question is what benefit do filter socks have? Would I need to use them with what I plan on setting up?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice. Wasn't sure I wanted to use a canister filter ran across them and figured I would hit the experts up. BTW that is an incredible tank. I'm planning on setting up a refugium sump, and ats. From what i've been told this should cover my bases.

Next question is what benefit do filter socks have? Would I need to use them with what I plan on setting up?

Filter socks are like a fine mesh pouch that go below your drain pipe. They stop little bits and pieces of food or pieces of algae or whatever from ending up in the sump and rotting and potentially turning into nitrate and phosphate. They can make the water really clear, almost polishing it like carbon. They're not a necessity, but a lot of people use them. I have never run one and don't plan on it any time soon.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! I believe I remember your screen name from the Reef Central days. Didn't your avatar used to be a cartoon character, maybe?

Cannister filters are functionally the same as reef "reactors", except they're normally not clear. How well they work or not depends on what you put in them. :) Many people give them a bad rep because its what everyone else says. They could be used on a successful reef tank.

Filter socks are very useful in stopping uneaten food from getting lost in your sump. Once you change them out, they remove detritus before it can break down, assuming you clean them before they break down. :)

Brandon

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back