Transition from canister(failing) to hob

Perculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a bit of an emergency this week as a 15 year old fluval canister is not pumping much water. I put and in line pump for emergency mesures but worried this won't hold long. Bought a tidal hob 55 today and plan to use that as replacement. The tank is a 20g with 15ish pounds of liverock that has been running for 10 years. Nitrates were very high this week till found out about the canister not working well. Should I just change the filter and ditch the canister that also has a bit of a leaky oring? Use only the supplied matrix bio media or put some of the ceramic rings from the canister in? I'm not sure how icky those got this week they smelled rank when cleaned the other day. I have a skimmer on route for next week. Any advice would be appreciated as this houses my beloved 10 year old clownfish. Thanks for any info and have a nice day.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria and bio filter are in the rocks in your tank, so no real need to switch anything from your canister to the hob. You can if you want, but it won't provide added benefit.

Since you are losing the flow from your canister return, I would suggest to add a powerhead in the tank to replace the flow, a hob doesn't move the water in the same way.

if nitrates are high, a water change will easily bring it down.

OP
OP
P

Perculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria and bio filter are in the rocks in your tank, so no real need to switch anything from your canister to the hob. You can if you want, but it won't provide added benefit.

Since you are losing the flow from your canister return, I would suggest to add a powerhead in the tank to replace the flow, a hob doesn't move the water in the same way.

if nitrates are high, a water change will easily bring it down.
So in your opinion I could just remove the canister and associated media? The thing is making me nervous with a jury rigged pump and leaky oring. Water changes were done this week and nitrates are acceptable now. There is a wave maker in the tank. The hob is on and I must say I like it. Flow is impressive compared to the pitiful output my canister was doing this last year.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah there's no need for it, sounds like your good. I run my 15 gallon softie tank on weekly water changes only, I have only a small hob for activated carbon for the toxins. The tank is 2.5 years old, and is my easiest hassle free tank.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in your opinion I could just remove the canister and associated media? The thing is making me nervous with a jury rigged pump and leaky oring. Water changes were done this week and nitrates are acceptable now. There is a wave maker in the tank. The hob is on and I must say I like it. Flow is impressive compared to the pitiful output my canister was doing this last year.
Yup. Just Ditch the canister.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a similar volume of water as you and have actually been thinking about going from HOB to canister. HOB is definitely easier to maintain than a canister, I’m just using it for mechanical filtration, swapping out floss every couple days, and some water movement.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a great thread for updated cycling science work because you have high value animals on the line. traditional reefing would caution against removing filter media without replacement, but then again that's not updated science :)

clouding is the risk, getting waste lodged in the filter pumped back into the tank, not the removal of surface area. if it's removed cleanly, it's true those were excess bacteria and your live rock display handles all the ammonia on it's own just fine, without the extra help. in all reef tanks, we all carry enough rock to do so, I've never seen a reef that didn't. taking a filter offline if done cleanly does not leave any reef tank in ammonia-control distress via lack of bacteria or surface area. ironic rule #2 of updated cycling science

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a bit of an emergency this week as a 15 year old fluval canister is not pumping much water. I put and in line pump for emergency mesures but worried this won't hold long. Bought a tidal hob 55 today and plan to use that as replacement. The tank is a 20g with 15ish pounds of liverock that has been running for 10 years. Nitrates were very high this week till found out about the canister not working well. Should I just change the filter and ditch the canister that also has a bit of a leaky oring? Use only the supplied matrix bio media or put some of the ceramic rings from the canister in? I'm not sure how icky those got this week they smelled rank when cleaned the other day. I have a skimmer on route for next week. Any advice would be appreciated as this houses my beloved 10 year old clownfish. Thanks for any info and have a nice day.
I think it’s a good move to ditch the canister completely and just start using the HOB. You could put some of your bio rings on the HOB but as stated, there’s so much more in the live rock so probably not necessary. I found canisters nothing but trouble over the years. Leaks, nitrate factories, hard to keep up on. I much prefer HOBs now.

OP
OP
P

Perculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the prompt advice and reassurance. Taking canister off later. I am so sick of cleaning that thing so this will be good for maintenance. Just wanted to make sure as our little blinky means the world to us. She is gettin pretty old and has survived much learning mistakes. Was hard to see her struggle a bit this week. She is loving the flow from the hob and frolicking happily in it. Will still keep a very very close eye on parameters this week but probably everything will be just fine. Wishing everyone a nice day!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back