Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquamaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer has been doing great with no issues for about a year. Today I unplugged it for weekly routine maintenance and then primed it when I started it back up. For some reason as soon as I plugged the air hose back into the silencer it started overflowing the cup with clear water in the matter of a couple mins and pumping out tons of micro bubbles. I have had the micro bubble issue some before but it usually goes away pretty fast. It has never filled up the collection cup with water before and I have not changed anything and I do this weekly. I have tried priming it for longer and it doesn’t fill up the cup or make micro bubbles but as soon as I plug the air hose back into the silencer it starts overflowing and making lots of bubbles. I tried letting it just overflow for about an hour but nothing changed and I’m afraid the micro bubbles are going to stress out the coral… Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was no blockage in tubes or foam incubator then I reckon that you cleaned the HoB 1.5 so well for some reasons, it needs time to re-condition and re-adjust. It happens to mine all the time. I had owned HoB 1.5 for 10 months no problem whatsoever, except a bit gurgling noise; otherwise a great skimmer.

Or, it might due to water condition/parameter changed, e.g. after heavy feeding, water medication, or loads of bio waste/decomposed compounds, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Millsaps2378

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was no blockage in tubes or foam incubator then I reckon that you cleaned the HoB 1.5 so well for some reasons, it needs time to re-condition and re-adjust. It happens to mine all the time. I had owned HoB 1.5 for 10 months no problem whatsoever, except a bit gurgling noise; otherwise a great skimmer.

Or, it might due to water condition/parameter changed, e.g. after heavy feeding, water medication, or loads of bio waste/decomposed compounds, etc.
Do you have any recommendations on what I should do to get it running normally again? I have been trying different things for hours and nothing seems to help… it’s like the air hose is sucking in way more air than it was before I unplugged it… and I only clean the collection cup so I do not disturb any beneficial bacteria inside the skimmer

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
add at the in on the air silencer with additional air tuning;
1707249762163.png

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could check were the airline connects to the pump, use a flashlight to make absolutely sure the pipe is not clogged on the inside of the pump.

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the silencer has some water in it, it will cause the water level inside the skimmer to raise, and fill the cut with clear water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back