Micro bubble fix for Aquamaxx HOB 1.5?

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm putting this out there to see if I'm doing something wrong or missing something here causing the micro bubbles on this Aquamaxx HOB 1.5.
Running on a JBJ 45 AIO going on 3 weeks, due to the water level needed to add some 1/2 and 3/4 PVC pipe to extend this to the water, believe could be part of my issue but I have to run this all in one back chamber (know this is not great but only option with space) where water moves up and overflows into the main return section. Intake is almost to the bottom of the chamber and the exit is well above that. water is flowing up through this so bubbles being sucked back into the skimmer is not likely. Also keeping a foam pad to catch these micro bubbles from getting into the return but this is not a long term solution. I ordered and installed the bubble stopper add on, this has only made thinks worse. I have noticed that the water level in the skimmer body seems to fluctuate and cause larger bubbles to enter the return which is causing the salt creep but also a mix of tons of mico bubbles making it into the display. Circled in red is where the water level changes/fluctuates, causing that gurgling noise and larger air bubbles. Added that cap (loose fitting to quiet that down) Anything that I could do different/ideas I am all ears and thanks for taking time to look!
IMG_4884.jpeg
IMG_4632.jpeg

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this skimmer for a while and feel like this is part of the break in period. It is a loud skimmer with that drain and cap might work well to dampen it a bit. It looks like it’s still breaking in to me based on the height of your collection basket and the clear water in the collection basket.

How long has it been running ?

Give it a few weeks and see if it improves. I ran this skimmer for about two years. I upgraded to a very similar skimmer the Aquamaxx HFN it’s three chambers, skimmer, bio media and then an open chamber that I set up as a mini fuge. It’s essentially the same skimmer though.

Hopefully this helps. I think patience through the break in period is all you need.

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had this skimmer for a while and feel like this is part of the break in period. It is a loud skimmer with that drain and cap might work well to dampen it a bit. It looks like it’s still breaking in to me based on the height of your collection basket and the clear water in the collection basket.

How long has it been running ?

Give it a few weeks and see if it improves. I ran this skimmer for about two years. I upgraded to a very similar skimmer the Aquamaxx HFN it’s three chambers, skimmer, bio media and then an open chamber that I set up as a mini fuge. It’s essentially the same skimmer though.

Hopefully this helps. I think patience through the break in period is all you need.
Thanks for taking the time!
I’ll keep at it and see if it will improve with the break in, the pics were from when it was first hooked up with the right length tubing and playing around with the collection cup. I’m coming to grips with how loud it is or getting used to it. Still having to adjust the collection cup quite a bit, been running at its highest as to not pull such wet skim and mess with my salinity.
Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what I did with mine, I added tape, changed to velcro to hold the lid on so that it doesn't overflow the collection cup. I also taped off the holes on the top of the collection cup.
I added a ventri to the air intake line with a piece of airline hose and the ventri from a Cyclone skimmer I had.
the ventri allows you to dial in the air going in to help subside the micro bubbles on start up after doing a full cleaning of the skimmer.

my skimmer only gets louder when it's either full and not skimming anymore or it's plugged up somewhere in the lines.

I have also added a foam filter to the intake line in the water to ensure nothing to large gets sucked into the skimmer..don't mind the dirty tank glass in the picture, lol and I turned the outtake line so that it's somewhat returning towards the glass the skimmer is on.
IMG_20221029_100530.jpg
IMG_20221227_002052.jpg
IMG_20240316_100316.jpg
IMG_20240316_100327.jpg

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is what I did with mine, I added tape, changed to velcro to hold the lid on so that it doesn't overflow the collection cup. I also taped off the holes on the top of the collection cup.
I added a ventri to the air intake line with a piece of airline hose and the ventri from a Cyclone skimmer I had.
the ventri allows you to dial in the air going in to help subside the micro bubbles on start up after doing a full cleaning of the skimmer.

my skimmer only gets louder when it's either full and not skimming anymore or it's plugged up somewhere in the lines.

I have also added a foam filter to the intake line in the water to ensure nothing to large gets sucked into the skimmer..don't mind the dirty tank glass in the picture, lol and I turned the outtake line so that it's somewhat returning towards the glass the skimmer is on.
IMG_20221029_100530.jpg
IMG_20221227_002052.jpg
IMG_20240316_100316.jpg
IMG_20240316_100327.jpg
Thanks for the advice, looking to order an air valve. Do you think something like this would work? Fluval A1175 Air Plastic Control Valve https://a.co/d/hOhzX35
Might take it apart and clean really well to see if it quiets down. It’s about a month old, wouldn’t think it would get bad that fast.
Thanks again!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping the skimmer return line capped like that will eventually overflow your skimmer.
on my skimmer? the line is not capped. I only add the cap and screw it on when it's needed to be adjusted to allow the microbubbles to subside then the cap portion is removed and leaving what's in the picture

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, looking to order an air valve. Do you think something like this would work? Fluval A1175 Air Plastic Control Valve https://a.co/d/hOhzX35
Might take it apart and clean really well to see if it quiets down. It’s about a month old, wouldn’t think it would get bad that fast.
Thanks again!
that would work with a small piece of airline to the skimmer, it's basically the same idea that's on mine, I just don't have a control valve on mine.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my skimmer? the line is not capped. I only add the cap and screw it on when it's needed to be adjusted to allow the microbubbles to subside then the cap portion is removed and leaving what's in the picture
I was referring to the op’s photos - he has the open top of the tee fitting capped off with a white pvc plug, if that skimmer return gets clogged up somehow and that cap is on there, it will overflow the skimmer body outside of the tank

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right on, yes I didn’t think that would be a good idea as a tight fit. I’ve currently been using it sitting upside down just to dampen the noise a little. Prob not doing anything for the noise lol

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best mod I did to mine (besides just putting it inside the tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:) was stop using the silencer that was included, I routed the silicone tube to an larger silicone tube hooked to an empty ro canister - this has 2 benefits - keeps the air intake away from the salt water which keep your skimmer pump running longer as the dried salt will clog up the air inlet in the pump reducing the air volume it can pull. And with the larger air volume it’s quieter less air suction noise. Aesthetically unpleasant the way I ran it but could be cleaned up and hidden well.
IMG_3268.jpeg

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha I’m not ready to move to the display quite yet! Thanks for the tip, very cool and may try this next!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back