Cannot remove copper from DT

SaundersDVM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with a copper issue in my display tank (Red Sea Reefer 650 G2, 165 gallons) for months. I was putting all of my fish through quarantine (Copper Power for 14 days, immediately moved into a new QT, then treated with metro and prazi for another 14 days). I ended up getting crypto in my DT anyway. So, rather than lose all of my fish, I decided to treat my DT with copper. I kept the copper between 2.3ppm and 2.5ppm (using the Hanna Checker) for approximately 2 months, then started to drop the levels with water changes. I got the level down to approximately 0.2ppm over 3 months with only doing water changes. At that time, the level was fluctuating between 0.12ppm to 0.25ppm. I added a Versa Pump and started doing 3-gallon daily auto water changes (that was always the plan before). Then, I added 500ml Cuprisorb to a bag in the sump. The copper seemed to be trending down over two weeks (though it never went below that fluctuation zone of 0.12ppm to 0.25ppm), and I added a pad of PolyFilter (attached to a powerhead) two weeks later. The copper went back up (again, all within that fluctuation zone) and then continued to fluctuate. A month later, still no progress. The Cuprisorb looked the same color as when I first added it. The PolyFilter looked greenish brown, though I wonder if that is just from organic matter and things getting caught in it, or algae growing in it. At that time, I added the Cuprisorb and PolyFilter to a BRS media reactor with a pump and placed that in the sump. I then increased the water changes to 9 gallons daily. Two weeks later, still no progress. I replaced the PolyFilter, but left the original Cuprisorb, as there was still zero color change that I could see. It has been a week since I changed the PolyFilter. I tested the water today and saw 0.2ppm copper. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to get rid of this copper? I have all the same rock in the tank, but it is way too much rock (and I spent too long creating the aquascape) to start over with new rock. At this point, I am tempted to buy a few crabs and corals, just to see how they do. As a side question, do you guys have a preferred place to buy pre quarantined fish, inverts, and corals? After my failure with quarantine, I’m not sure I want to try again if I ever start a new tank.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my limited knowledge of similar threads, it could take months with Cuprisorb to get all the copper out - hopefully someone will chime in with more info

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks and sand are probably holding the copper. I would advise a activated carbon reactor. Or at least a bag of it in the sump . Keep changing it every few days. Copper does go away on its own.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a lot of effort in the rock scape then maybe replace the sand only . Beware this will remove a significant amount of bacteria from your aquarium. And may cause a mini cycle. Eventually when it’s lower try some turbo snails and hermits to gauge is corals are safe .

HD Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same story as you , same current levels fluctuating ect.
I tried a few zoas , they are fine , also 30 snails in there now with a banded shrimp and all is well , along with 0.21 ppm of copper on a hanna checker.
I will buy anew cuprisorb and poly filter this week as I think they have been exhausted although never changed colour after being in a reactor.

I also have a German made test kit for copper and it comes back with a 0 reading , no colour change what so ever.

Try a few zoas and snails , good luck

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same story as you , same current levels fluctuating ect.
I tried a few zoas , they are fine , also 30 snails in there now with a banded shrimp and all is well , along with 0.21 ppm of copper on a hanna checker.
I will buy anew cuprisorb and poly filter this week as I think they have been exhausted although never changed colour after being in a reactor.

I also have a German made test kit for copper and it comes back with a 0 reading , no colour change what so ever.

Try a few zoas and snails , good luck

The Hanna HR copper tester CANNOT measure < 1ppm accurately.

This is well documented (in many threads) behaviour of this particular checker.

If I were to test my DT right now (which has never been dosed with copper, I can guarantee it will read somewhere between 0.1 and 0.4ppm copper.

For testing under 1ppm you need to use another test (I use seachem).

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good selection of qt fish and inverts, responsive to emails, fair prices.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back