Can't decided: Jebao RW-4 with RKL DCI module or Tunze 6040 with RKL APC module on 10 IM for RKL

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have mixed corals and maybe a frogfish for fish. I can keep feeder shrimp in this tank for frogfish food to be eaten as she catches them and storage of the same feeder shrimp if I get a DGM for the 30 long IM.

I'm afraid the Tunze might be overkill but it's a nicer wavemaker and I've already got one. I guess I can test one out since I have one, then I'll know. But if I use it for my 30 long I'll have to get something else for the 10. The APC module for the Tunze is 130 bucks whereas the DCI module for the Jebao is just 60. Both have their stand alone wavemaker controller that comes with the pump but since I have the ReefKeeper Lite I like the integration and redundancy. On the other hand the Jebao is smaller, cheaper, and has the option of wireless control where the Tunze lacks these three points. I've also read that if your Jebao puts out too much flow you can get a generic power supply with less wattage on Amazon.

Those are the pros and cons of each. Thoughts?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I don't know if you know it but you need 2 modules to control DC pumps with a RKL, the APC and the DCI. Their $179 @ Marine Depot. Also I would go with the RW-4s, their cheaper and they put out a broad water stream.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a guy who purchased two Jebaos, the most recent an RW4 about 6 weeks ago. The thing lasted him all of 3 days before the speed adjustment feature on the controller stopped working. The previous powerhead he bought worked 4 months before it just stopped running. He says you may get a unit that will last, or you may get one that will break in less than 3 months.

I have a Jebao 1200 return pump that has lasted awhile and I plan to use it regardless of what others say but you just can beat the integrity of Tunze products.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run 2 RW-15's on my 150, and have them hooked into the control box sold by fishstreet to my apex. I have them programmed to change flow throughout the day, and have the alternated between the pumps all day.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao is $60 and the Tunze is about $140 IIRC including their standalone built-in controllers which is quite a difference but the Tunze is still about half the price of an MP10.
FYI, I don't know if you know it but you need 2 modules to control DC pumps with a RKL, the APC and the DCI. Their $179 @ Marine Depot. Also I would go with the RW-4s, their cheaper and they put out a broad water stream.
Okay from where I stand I've got a 6040 so I would just need an APC at $130 and for the Jebao, APC + DCI + the pump = $240. Now would the APC + DCI count as one or two modules for the RKL? I can only have four modules for this controller, so two modules for one lousy pump on a 10 gallon tank is ridiculous. I will look up the flow range of the Tunze and test it in a bucket if I have to and post the results.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back