Tunze 6040 vs Nero 3

millertime1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at adding either 2x tunze 6040s or 2x AI Nero 3s

I really like the idea of the 2 nero 3s but concerned about both reliability and magnet/internal corrosion issues I've heard about. Most of my other gear is AI so controlling everything from one app is also ideal.

I know tunze makes some of the most reliable equipment out there but I'm concerned about the type of flow with 2 opposing powerheads using the deflectors in a 50gal (40gal display) as well as not having a guard for small fish and future potential nems.

Anyone have experience with both? What was your take or preference? TIA!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i've owned 3 nero 3's. only 1 has ever malfunctioned on me, and i attribute it to negligence due to not cleaning it often. i still have it and plan on tinkering with it in hopes i can somehow fix it. it has power just doesn't spin. so maybe the magnet inside is stuck and not spinning the propeller. both companies are great, but tunze probably has the better customer service.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Tunze 6040 in a 20 gal long observation tank. It has been very reliable. The deflector is a little clunky. You have to locate the unit pretty far below the water line or it will create a lot of turbulence and standing wave at the surface. I tried removing it and mounting the unit horizontally, but it can eject the impeller. Puts out a lot of flow for something that size. No experience with the Nero, but it will probably give you better control.

OP
OP
M

millertime1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've owned 3 nero 3's. only 1 has ever malfunctioned on me, and i attribute it to negligence due to not cleaning it often. i still have it and plan on tinkering with it in hopes i can somehow fix it. it has power just doesn't spin. so maybe the magnet inside is stuck and not spinning the propeller. both companies are great, but tunze probably has the better customer service.
How long have you had the Neros for?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How long have you had the Neros for?
the one that died on me was my first one (hence why i bought the second), i bought the third to have more flow, and just recently added a jebao gyre for more flow…. severely overkill since i could’ve just raised the % of the nero’s… but i do plan on upgrading in the future so it works out anyways. i love the ease of just using 1 app to control things(myAI), as i also have their fuge light and 2 hydra 32HD’s. i may buy a used AI gyre and return pump once people realize they can get some chinese product they rebranded that is a replica of the AI’s and replace my sicce return pump and jebao gyre lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back