Millertime's IM Fusion Pro 2 50gal lagoon build

millertime1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone very excited to say I'll soon be starting my journey into the saltwater realm. I have kept basic freshwater over the years but this will be completely new territory for me so please make suggestions/comments and I'm very open to any advice!

Initial Build list:
*IM Fusion Pro 2 50gal lagoon tank
*axis 90 return pump and stock return pump for backup
*Black APS stand
*2x Nero 3 wave maker
*2× ia prime 16hd
*2x IM media caddys
*IOAOI DC skimmer
*UV TBD recommendations???
*Pinky filter floss with biomedia/carbon
*TBS Live rock
*CaribSea sand (Fiji pink or bahamas oolite)
*2× Helio 100w PTC heaters
*5 gal IM ATO tank and duetto 2 ato
*LiquaGen 6 stage RODI system
*Hanna marine master
*battery tender setup with tunze safety controller on nero 3s and possibly return

QT Tank Build List:
*IM 15 gal Fusion AIO (kit on sale for 100$!)
*stock return pump
*cheap airstone for additional oxygenation
*NICREW 100watt (came with tank)
*Cheap 50w heater
*PVC

Livestock:
*2 Ocellaris Clownfish (colors undecided)
*Small Flame Angle (potentially added later)
*2 purple firefish (without flame angle)
*suggestions???

Corals:
*Some softies and LPS but nothing definite yet (suggestions???)

Comments on some of my choices:

*I like redundancy and back and forth tidal flow for the 2 Nero 3s.

*split the heating to 2 smaller units. Seems better for both types of failure (stuck on hot the 100w would do less damage i hope) Fried a tank in the past with a single large heater.

*Put the QT Tank Build for reference since I will be setting this up at the same time.

*Starting the equipment purchasing process now but will most likely span the next 2 months to try and soften the total cost.

If there is anything big I missed please let me know!

Last edited:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I set up my Nuvo 40L recently, it’s been a blast so far.

Following.

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club!

Good call on the TBS rock. I wish I had gone that route instead of dry. Kudos for planning to QT right from the start too!

Fish! My vote goes for a possum wrasse and a blenny of some kind! Goby/shrimp is always popular too.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @millertime1234 Welcome aboard! You've got a good list going and I have a couple recommendations from my research that might help you.

I went with an AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer because it did not compromise any of the AIO sump space and the water exit is below the water level, reducing noise. I also positioned the output to exit against the back wall which also reduces noise.

Two 100-watt heaters may/may not be adequate for this tank. I run a single 300w titanium heater and I still see a bit of a swing.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 4.15.17 PM.png

IM Media Caddies and Pinky Filter is perfect. I run the same. I also nabbed an InTank IM 30L AIO sump cover, which fits fine on this tank.

I did grab the IM Midsize UV which fits into one of the weir overflow chambers. I don't plan to run full time, only as needed. They're on sale right now since IM is 20% off.

I'm super happy with my TBS Pico Package and would recommend them for all live rock needs. Much better experience with TBS than what I had with KP Aquatics.

ATO container. This is the one thing I would say don't spend a lot of cash on. I use a 5g hedpack jug and keep spares in the garage. When I need to swap, I unscrew the lid (my pump and hose run through a hole in the lid) and swap jugs. Easy peasy!

Good luck on the build, excited to see where you go with this!

IMG_1386.jpeg

OP
OP
M

millertime1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @millertime1234 Welcome aboard! You've got a good list going and I have a couple recommendations from my research that might help you.

I went with an AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer because it did not compromise any of the AIO sump space and the water exit is below the water level, reducing noise. I also positioned the output to exit against the back wall which also reduces noise.

Two 100-watt heaters may/may not be adequate for this tank. I run a single 300w titanium heater and I still see a bit of a swing.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 4.15.17 PM.png

IM Media Caddies and Pinky Filter is perfect. I run the same. I also nabbed an InTank IM 30L AIO sump cover, which fits fine on this tank.

I did grab the IM Midsize UV which fits into one of the weir overflow chambers. I don't plan to run full time, only as needed. They're on sale right now since IM is 20% off.

I'm super happy with my TBS Pico Package and would recommend them for all live rock needs. Much better experience with TBS than what I had with KP Aquatics.

ATO container. This is the one thing I would say don't spend a lot of cash on. I use a 5g hedpack jug and keep spares in the garage. When I need to swap, I unscrew the lid (my pump and hose run through a hole in the lid) and swap jugs. Easy peasy!

Good luck on the build, excited to see where you go with this!

IMG_1386.jpeg

Awesome thanks for all the tips and recommendations! I'll take a look at the Aqumax HOB. Any idea how far that sticks out behind the AIO sump space?

I'll keep that in mind with the heaters and might do 2x 200watt.

Looking at the same UV and also not sure if I'll need it but better to have it and not need to run it all the time.

I'm only a couple of hours from TBS so hoping they let me pick up direct/sift through some rocks, and speak to the experts first hand on how to best avoid the really bad hitchhikers. (thinking high salinity dip and live rock observation qt)

Already have the IM ATO tank, picked it up for 10$ at a garage sale a couple weeks ago! If not I'd definitely go the jug route.

I might have also just scored a used like new IM 50 Lagoon with a bunch of extras so more updates to come this weekend hopefully!

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 has a depth of 3.25" and sits almost flat against the back of the tank. There is about 2.25" between the bottom of the skimmer and the bottom of the aquarium/stand.

IMG_1408.jpeg

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to see another 40L joining the ranks! I love mine!

I have a IM UV and run it pretty much all the time - I *think* it helps. :)

Maybe a diamond watchman goby? I love mine and he keeps my sand bed churned up nice. He is quite a character and fun to watch too.

OP
OP
M

millertime1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got lucky and picked up the 50gal for a great deal this weekend and getting it cleaned up! Started to order some of the equipment as well. Build will pretty much stay the same as before, just swapped a couple things out.
*Axis 90 return pump (picked this up on sale)
*IM 15gal AIO cube one sale for 100$ for the kit! This will make a great qt tank
*think I've decided to go with the tunze 9004 dc skimmer.
*going with the duetto 2 ato for alittle cost savings over the tunze, hopefully doesn't come back to bite me

Next couple of weeks will be slow due to the holidays but planning on getting live rock set up early Jan. Going to due quick qt of the rock in high salinity to help week out the hitch hickers in the at tank before popping them into the display.
1000001965.jpg

OP
OP
M

millertime1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww yeah good looking tank!!! Those Axis pumps are slick as well.
Yup figured I'd give the axis a try since the majority of my other gear will be AI. Looks like someone mentioned it is a rebranded ZKSJ with added connectivity and control but honestly I'll pay the 50$ markup for the added firmware development and better customer support.

Mas0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup figured I'd give the axis a try since the majority of my other gear will be AI. Looks like someone mentioned it is a rebranded ZKSJ with added connectivity and control but honestly I'll pay the 50$ markup for the added firmware development and better customer support.
That's interesting, good to know. I'm totally with you there, support and good user experience is worth the money.

OP
OP
M

millertime1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000001982.jpg

Christmas came early and I had a couple of early arrivals of gear! Slowly getting everything together. Got the tank moved inside today and ready for a final clean. QT Tank is coming next week.

Debating on cycling the QT with bottle bacteria or waiting for the live rock in the display to seed some sponge media and using that. Thoughts?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice i just started my lagoon last week although i moved what i had over in my 15 gallon into it so i had about 6 lbs of live rock and a bag of marine pure gems to jump start it. I did use microbacter xlm though. Everybody seems happy , very similar equipment list . Youll definatley enjoy it

OP
OP
M

millertime1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, looks like the QT Tank is arriving today! Still can't believe I got the kit for 100$+Shipping.

Decided to go with the IOAOI skimmer with the DC pump base on reviews here and the fact that it looks identical to the PLS-50 Elite II. It will sit unused for a while until I start to build up my bioload. Guessing 2-3 months after adding first set of fish.

Components for the control board are starting to come in so I'll be starting on that as well. Ended up ordering a large black cutting board and some brackets so we will see how that goes.

Will also set up a battery backup for the neros with a 24v battery system and the tunze safety switches. This will probably happen later this year as we approach hurricane season again.

Also did not like the mounting options for the AI primes so working on a different 80/20 solution for those. Will update with pictures once I get that set up next week.

OP
OP
M

millertime1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the tank wet and popping some live rock in a couple of weeks! Starting to think more about my stocking options and would definitely like some feedback! Looking at 2 different setups, a more docile tank and a semi agressive tank.

Setup 1
×2 lightning maroon clowns
×1 marine betta
×1 orchid dottyback
×1 flame angle or coral beauty
×1 some type of sand dweller

Setup 2
×2 ocellaris clowns
×1 purple firefish
×1 marine betta
×1 melanurus wrasse
×1 Flame Angle or coral beauty
×1 some type of sand dweller

I also plan on doing a mixed reef tank mostly softies and some LPS as well. The fish would obviously not be stocked all at once but over the course of 6ish months. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice looking good, think the mount came out good!! I went with keeping my black ice clowns and tailspot blenny. At the end of march im getting a flame angel black cap basslet and starcki damsel . Happy with that. Did you notice the pls is now $99.99 on mode.

OP
OP
M

millertime1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking good, think the mount came out good!! I went with keeping my black ice clowns and tailspot blenny. At the end of march im getting a flame angel black cap basslet and starcki damsel . Happy with that. Did you notice the pls is now $99.99 on mode.
Thank you! I did see the PLS went to 100$. A pretty massive drop from $220. Wonder what's going on? Hopefully they are actually shipping them out! Decided to go the docile tank for less issues later down the road so I'll be adding clowns first after cycling. Really like the frostbite and photon storm colors/patterns.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back