Help with build before I buy!

DanteT12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I kept a 29g reef with mixed results but most of it was DIY. So fast forward here I tore down one of my FW planted builds and I am thinking about trying my hand is the saltwater world again.

What I have is a 40L AIO believe it is 35x16x13 (don't quote me on that, but you get an idea). I got money to spend, but I'm not made of it so I don't want to dive in with expensive gears. I do not plan to upgrade tank size or had a sump bc of limited space (I got other larger FW setups).

My goal is a mixed coral, focusing mainly on LPS, Zoas, Mushrooms. Debating a GSP up the back, but that's for another time. I would like to eventually try some SPS but down the road. As far as fish, maybe a clown pair, few other smaller fish/inverts. As with my other tanks I like to showcase the build and scape, and have lighter fish loads.

I plan for this to be bare bottom. Correct me know if I'm gonna make a killer mistake there. I usually like it to keep detritus off the bottom, and I find gunky sand unattractive.

For lighting I plan to purchase 2x kessil A160s. Hopefully that's enough for SPS, or something more light demanding in the future. The AI lights seem to have less desirable reviews but the cost is intriguing. Not sure if other brands.

I am hung up on powerheads. The biggest issue I had with my first build was my noisy ebay knock off powerheads. So I would like to get something quiet. Vortechs are expensive and I feel as if 1x MP10 isn't going to give me the full tank flow to prevent deadspots. So I am leaning towards 2x Nero 3s. Idk how they stack up against the MP10s though. Maybe I should do a gyre instead?

I have a cheap ATO on hand, and I have 4 stage RODI.

I plan on getting 40# caribsea dry rock, and taking the long cycle approach. I plan on adding biomead in the back chamber to compensate for the lack of a sandbed.

I would like to add pods, and a CUC too. I probably will not do a skimmer. I do not see the benefit in a smaller system with no sump. I'm concerned if I don't have a fuge my pods will dye off, but I don't think I'll add a mandarin or anything. I also don't see the benefit of make a fuge in a back chamber, unless you can convince me otherwise.

My previous build did have a sump with an ATS. I did like that, but I don't see a feasible way to do that without a sump.

I also guess I'll cross the dosing bridge once everything is cycled, and stocked. So I got time.

Am I on a decent track or should I change something before I buy and start?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DanteT12 it seems like you’re in a good path. Just a couple of thoughts. For lights take a look at the Reefbreeder. It comes in a few lengths and might be a good alternative to using two Kessils. I completely agree that the MP10 is pricey but I really like not having cords in the water

tikiTorch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I kept a 29g reef with mixed results but most of it was DIY. So fast forward here I tore down one of my FW planted builds and I am thinking about trying my hand is the saltwater world again.

What I have is a 40L AIO believe it is 35x16x13 (don't quote me on that, but you get an idea). I got money to spend, but I'm not made of it so I don't want to dive in with expensive gears. I do not plan to upgrade tank size or had a sump bc of limited space (I got other larger FW setups).

My goal is a mixed coral, focusing mainly on LPS, Zoas, Mushrooms. Debating a GSP up the back, but that's for another time. I would like to eventually try some SPS but down the road. As far as fish, maybe a clown pair, few other smaller fish/inverts. As with my other tanks I like to showcase the build and scape, and have lighter fish loads.

I plan for this to be bare bottom. Correct me know if I'm gonna make a killer mistake there. I usually like it to keep detritus off the bottom, and I find gunky sand unattractive.

For lighting I plan to purchase 2x kessil A160s. Hopefully that's enough for SPS, or something more light demanding in the future. The AI lights seem to have less desirable reviews but the cost is intriguing. Not sure if other brands.

I am hung up on powerheads. The biggest issue I had with my first build was my noisy ebay knock off powerheads. So I would like to get something quiet. Vortechs are expensive and I feel as if 1x MP10 isn't going to give me the full tank flow to prevent deadspots. So I am leaning towards 2x Nero 3s. Idk how they stack up against the MP10s though. Maybe I should do a gyre instead?

I have a cheap ATO on hand, and I have 4 stage RODI.

I plan on getting 40# caribsea dry rock, and taking the long cycle approach. I plan on adding biomead in the back chamber to compensate for the lack of a sandbed.

I would like to add pods, and a CUC too. I probably will not do a skimmer. I do not see the benefit in a smaller system with no sump. I'm concerned if I don't have a fuge my pods will dye off, but I don't think I'll add a mandarin or anything. I also don't see the benefit of make a fuge in a back chamber, unless you can convince me otherwise.

My previous build did have a sump with an ATS. I did like that, but I don't see a feasible way to do that without a sump.

I also guess I'll cross the dosing bridge once everything is cycled, and stocked. So I got time.

Am I on a decent track or should I change something before I buy and start?
My only change would be the tank itself. A 40 breeder or even a 60 breeder would give you more depth for the rock work and fish maneuverability. 60 breeder for the corals to grow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back