Can't get alk right

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reefing for years now. I have a 110 gallon reef or i should say had due to some problem's .I took out all substrate and rock out got rid of old substrate rock went into a bath with some bleach took the rock out put it in the sun for 2 week's put it back in a bath with clean salt water for 2 weeks ran carbon and gfo did some water change's set my reef back up new substrate and the rock it's been a month up and running or longer mag 1500 cal 420 alk don't no i test it will say it's 7.5 so i dose BRS 2 part alk try to bring it to 9 or even 10 over night back to 6.5 light's off and i do have light's on the sump at night even i test at the same time every day and still it swing's what's up with this i have never had a problem ever with alk or keeping my reef stable any help would be great thank you.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing it after you add an alk supplement to see what the levels are or are you guessing how much it is raised? With no corals and no coraline growth you shouldn't have hardly any alk demand.

OP
OP
stedfast82

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know get your point no demand .I will test right after I dose. I was thinking 1 time before. Lights. On and at 5 pm would be good I will test 20 min after dose and see what happened

OP
OP
stedfast82

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested after dose was 6.5 now 9.0 that is very good but by 5 pm we will see thank you for your 2 cents.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your current mag and calcium levels there is a good chance that your alk is precipitating. Does it turn to big crystals when it hits the water?

Water down the solution a lot with Ro/di before you dose then add it slowly.

What alk kit are you using?

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont play the numbers game. I ran at 5 and corals looked awesome, tried playing the game and now up to 7.5 and stuff didnt look as good

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your current mag and calcium levels there is a good chance that your alk is precipitating. Does it turn to big crystals when it hits the water?

Water down the solution a lot with Ro/di before you dose then add it slowly.

What alk kit are you using?

Its the other way around. Low Mg will cause precipitation. NSW range is 1300ish for Mg so 1500 would be high. Probably wont need to dose any for 6 months unless you are trying to keep it that high for some reason.
I would wait and check levels tonight
Another possibility is that the rock might have a lot of dead organics. As the break down they will release acids that might bring it down.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 62 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.4%
Back