Can't get Paly Pics...the colors are TOO BRIGHT

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get a picture of everything around it but I just can't get a picture of the spectacular Palys I picked up yesterday. They are people eaters and the centers are bright, speckled peach, a lime green ring, a yellow ring and then a green mouth.

The second Paly in the mix is a bright red and black speckled with a green mouth.

They are so bright that the light being reflected off of them is throwing the whole picture off. I even tried manually setting the white balance but it doesn't help.

Is there any trick to getting pics of these...they are just settling in and I don't want to move them any more than necessary.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ladipyg

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got these I was thinking Ding Dangs or Marshian PE's but no way...they are just far too bright and metallic. I can get the Guavas next to it and the red/blue Gonipora...but these zoas are driving me crazy!!!

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post what you have and maybe one of us who dabbles in photography can help you. Does your camera have manual settings?
Gary

OP
OP
Ladipyg

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were taken under 2 - 150 watt 10K MH bulbs with 2-54 watt T5's. The gonipora and other corals are the correct shades.

luckypalys3.jpg

luckypalys5.jpg

luckypalys2.jpg

Actinics only

luckypalys4.jpg

OP
OP
Ladipyg

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I am shooting with a Canon PowerShot Pro1 camera. It has manual and automatic settings. I can shoot RAW or Adobe RGB...I have white balance, film speed setting (50-400), macro settings. I do have Macro lenses 2X, 4X, 6X and 10X. Not the best, just basic stuff. Of course basic to someone like Gary and someone like me is probably miles apart.

TonyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you've just got them overexposed a bit and it's blowing out the highlights. Try underexposing the shot by a full stop. Not sure how to do it with that camera, if you can't figure it out just put it on manual and try using faster shutter speeds.

OP
OP
Ladipyg

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give it a try when the lights come back on tomorrow. I'm tired and frustrated for tonight...

OP
OP
Ladipyg

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK...I'm doing better...here are this mornings efforts.

Picture of one piece of the colony taken in my fuge under a 6500K grow light which tends to be a little yellow. It is there strictly for growing my chaeto.

refugiumpinks2.jpg

Second try in the tank...still have lots more work to do, including setting up my tripod but it's a start.

luckypalysbestshotyet.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back