Can't Grow Chaeto

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time refugium user since I moved houses and now have the "new" tank, but just can't grow anything in the fuge. I tried one cluster from algaebarn in the beginning that just over time kinda disintegrated. Figured (although PO4 is near 1 now and Nitrate is around 25), the tank was too "new". So now about 4-5 months later, with those nutrient numbers, I got another batch from algaebarn. This one came with sea lettuce and another macro - once again I feel like it's just starting to wither away.

Here's the light I'm using. Running 17 hours a day, inverse of tank lights. I don't have a powerhead in the sump, and instinctively I feel like it's not getting enough flow since it's stagnant, but a lot of people on the forums here are saying they grow great chaeto without any powerhead or movement, so I'm not sure. Ayy advice?

fuge2.jpg fuge1.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only had problems with my chaeto when phosphates dropped below .1
I grow both grape caulerpa and chaeto. Do you have any fish at all?

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had problems with my chaeto when phosphates dropped below .1
I grow both grape caulerpa and chaeto. Do you have any fish at all?
Yeah, well like I said, PO4 is about 1 (not .1), and nitrates are 25. Oh yeah, five fish, so I definitely don't think a lack of nutrients is the reason why it's not doing well.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that chaeto that I've gotten both times is actually from algaebarn, so I'm pretty confident that I at least got the best stuff that would give me the chance to grow it well.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's from algae barn. I would think it would be an easy to grow species.

Edit: did the other algae survive?
Exactly. By other algae, do you mean the other two types that came in this second try, or the first try? The first try a few months ago was just chaeto, it died. The sea lettuce and red orgo in this second try are doing "fine?" I'm not really sure how to judge their health. They're mostly floating at the top of the water, but I don't think I've noticed any significant reduction in volume from them, so.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you mean the other two types that came in this second try
Yes. If the other 2 algae are doing well, I have no explanation on why the chaeto melted. Things take time to settle in before you see growth. I never used those red lights to grow chaeto. Just a 65w bulb with 4.2k - 5.5k kelvin rating.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back