Can't keep acan or blastos alive.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is might be the sad reality :(

Thanks everyone, I will raise up my nitrates more and see what happens.

With Phosphates would it be bad to target .1-.3 or would that be considered too high? I would do it via Reef Roids and more feeding frequency.

Picture of the new to me blastos after a couple of weeks. The top one defleshed a couple of days ago.

20231110_085935.jpg
A very general rule of thumb I use is keeping the nitrate to phosphate ratio around 100 to 1. So if your nitrates are 10, phos would be 0.1. Again, this is a VERY rough "guide" and personally if my nitrates are 25-30, I try to keep my phosphates anywhere from 0.1 to 0.5. As is almost always the case, stability is the key (once you have at least the minimum needed level of nutrients- in your case I would try not to go below nitrate of 10 and phosphate of 0.05)

Also, don't forget to manage your alk, salinity, temp, etc. Sometimes a tank will just have a "happy spot" where any given parameter might be outside a "norm" but remains stable... This is fine as long as you understand that you may need to acclimate any new additions to the higher/lower levels (and have anyone who receives coral from you do the same...)

Edited to correct: I originally wrote "A very general rule of thumb I use is keeping the nitrate to phosphate ratio around 10 to 1. This should be 100:1.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the new to me blastos after a couple of weeks. The top one defleshed a couple of days ago.
This could possibly be from the high alk (see my comment above about needing more careful acclimation). If the coral experienced a significant alk swing when you put it in your water, the resulting damage could take a week to a month to become apparent.

padilla95624

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you lower you alk to 9, set the temp to 77 and move them into partial shade. Hand feeding once a week might bulk them up faster if they are not getting food from the water column.

fangelillo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous acan and now the blasto sits at the bottom of the tank, I don't think it should be too much but I haven't par meter tested it.

Sorry, yeah, try to keep it at .03.

That is quite a bit of shade for sure.

I don't really do any water changes but the reason for the ALK levels relatively on the higher side was for the clams, it seems like they respond very well and I lost one at the lower levels.

I would like to think I have mainly a softy tank but here is what I have.

monti
stylo
birdsnest
green leather
a few indo torches
lots of zoas
duncan
candy canes
clove poly
frog spawn
mushrooms
3 x maxima clams
1 x deresa clam

This is my longest reef tank that i've owned along with the most successful relatively (over 2 years) and have been buying cheaper stuff to begin with and branching out to more expensive corals.

I have always loved Blatos more than acans but its a bummer that I can't keep that alive or have positive growth.

20231109_083933.jpg
Try placing some towards inside the caves. Most of my rainbows stayed rainbow in low light while medium light they all turned orange/red/rainbow

OP
OP
M

mrhongkongwong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could possibly be from the high alk (see my comment above about needing more careful acclimation). If the coral experienced a significant alk swing when you put it in your water, the resulting damage could take a week to a month to become apparent.

Thank you for the suggestions and will definitely try this, how slow would you raise up nitrates? Also is there anything better or more beneficial that has nitrates in it that would be worth dosing versus neo nitro?

I suggest you lower you alk to 9, set the temp to 77 and move them into partial shade. Hand feeding once a week might bulk them up faster if they are not getting food from the water column.
Try placing some towards inside the caves. Most of my rainbows stayed rainbow in low light while medium light they all turned orange/red/rainbow

I will move them to a partial shade, thanks.

In regards to temps I'm not sure if I can lower the temps without a chiller since I currently don't run a heater on the tank, will try to see what I can do. I think by adding more reef roids, they should be able to get more food from the water column? I don't have a skimmer so it shouldn't be skimmed out but it could just go right into the sump/chateo.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, with nitrates below 10 and alk above 9 my mixed reef, especially the lps and softies aren't the happiest
That's a good point. I've heard that before - that higher nutrients are somewhat of protection from high alk.

OP
OP
M

mrhongkongwong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been slowly increasing my nitrates and observing the tank. A lot of stuff seems to be happy like my monti cap.

However looking at my Indo gold and black torches. It seems like it is receding compared to the other torches. Does this seem that way to you guys?

Attachments

• 20231114_141038.jpg
    20231114_141038.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
M

mrhongkongwong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is might be the sad reality :(

Thanks everyone, I will raise up my nitrates more and see what happens.

With Phosphates would it be bad to target .1-.3 or would that be considered too high? I would do it via Reef Roids and more feeding frequency.

20231110_085935.jpg

Haven't changed the location of the blastos but it seems to be a lot happier.

However I'm getting more black turf algae and significantly more black slime on my chateo.

Does anyone have a similar experience? If so how was this addressed?
20231122_093435.jpg

Also the torch is now happy as well.

20231122_093902.jpg

adammarcos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have a tank that I can't keep blastos or acans alive. They all tend to recess and die eventually. However it seems like everything else in my tank is okay?

One thing I've been trying to do is raise my alkalinity via seachem fusion. For alkalinity I use the API test kit and trying to target between 11 and 12 and it seems like it's around 10 to 11 at times.

What would cause blastos and acans not to have any success typically?

Nitrates: try to be 1 to 5 ppm (salifert kit)
Phos: try to keep it under .3, usually at .1 (salifert kit)
Salinity: 1.026

My tank is chateo filtration. Rarely do any water changes just dose fusion 1, fusion 2 and frtiz mag.

Will dose neo nitro for nitrates and reef ab+
Will feed reef roids to raise phos

Feed 3x a day flake food and occasionally brine shrimp once or twice a week
I didn't see anything about lighting but that would be my first thought.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back