Can't keep acan or blastos alive.

mrhongkongwong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have a tank that I can't keep blastos or acans alive. They all tend to recess and die eventually. However it seems like everything else in my tank is okay?

One thing I've been trying to do is raise my alkalinity via seachem fusion. For alkalinity I use the API test kit and trying to target between 11 and 12 and it seems like it's around 10 to 11 at times.

What would cause blastos and acans not to have any success typically?

Nitrates: try to be 1 to 5 ppm (salifert kit)
Phos: try to keep it under .3, usually at .1 (salifert kit)
Salinity: 1.026

My tank is chateo filtration. Rarely do any water changes just dose fusion 1, fusion 2 and frtiz mag.

Will dose neo nitro for nitrates and reef ab+
Will feed reef roids to raise phos

Feed 3x a day flake food and occasionally brine shrimp once or twice a week

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Aquadude1, mine are low in the tank and my blastos are getting some shade from my monti cap. Phosphate at .3? Is that a typo did you mean .03?
A4C7C81A-8B4E-4CCE-B70B-14D8D0226BE1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrhongkongwong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those tend to not like high light. I didn't see anything about lighting but that would be my first thought.
The previous acan and now the blasto sits at the bottom of the tank, I don't think it should be too much but I haven't par meter tested it.

I agree with @Aquadude1, mine are low in the tank and my blastos are getting some shade from my monti cap. Phosphate at .3? Is that a typo did you mean .03?
Sorry, yeah, try to keep it at .03.

That is quite a bit of shade for sure.
I don't know if others have had success at high levels, but I have blastos and my alk is around 8-9, which is considerably lower than yours. I also do weekly water changes. When you say everything else is doing okay, why just okay? and what other coral do you have

I don't really do any water changes but the reason for the ALK levels relatively on the higher side was for the clams, it seems like they respond very well and I lost one at the lower levels.

I would like to think I have mainly a softy tank but here is what I have.

monti
stylo
birdsnest
green leather
a few indo torches
lots of zoas
duncan
candy canes
clove poly
frog spawn
mushrooms
3 x maxima clams
1 x deresa clam

This is my longest reef tank that i've owned along with the most successful relatively (over 2 years) and have been buying cheaper stuff to begin with and branching out to more expensive corals.

I have always loved Blatos more than acans but its a bummer that I can't keep that alive or have positive growth.

20231109_083933.jpg

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans don’t like too much light and they like a Bit more dirty water than a lot of other coals

Last edited:

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely suspect your fish. Blastos and Acans seem to be too tempting for some fish. :) They can't survive in my tank either.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous acan and now the blasto sits at the bottom of the tank, I don't think it should be too much but I haven't par meter tested it.

Sorry, yeah, try to keep it at .03.

That is quite a bit of shade for sure.

I don't really do any water changes but the reason for the ALK levels relatively on the higher side was for the clams, it seems like they respond very well and I lost one at the lower levels.

monti
stylo
birdsnest
green leather
a few indo torches
lots of zoas
duncan
candy canes
clove poly
frog spawn
mushrooms
3 x maxima clams
1 x deresa clam

This is my longest reef tank that i've owned along with the most successful relatively (over 2 years) and have been buying cheaper stuff to begin with and branching out to more expensive corals.

I have always loved Blatos more than acans but its a bummer that I can't keep that alive or have positive growth.

20231109_083933.jpg
That’s what I thought. You are starving them, you need to get your nitrates up to 10-15 and phosphates up to.5-.1. With margin of error your phosphates could be 0. I think you will see a big difference once you get your levels up. Happy reefing!

Aquadude1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me would reduce your refugium schedule slowly and see if you get more extension out of your torches. If they do extend more I would feel comfortable trying again. Also if you have a dwarf angel watch him. Acans and blastos are lunch boxes for them.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my Acans/Micromussa are near the bottom but I have a couple close to mid level, albeit not in full light.
IMG_3404.jpeg
. They like good feedings although it’s not necessary . Also flow shouldn’t be super strong.

OP
OP
M

mrhongkongwong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you keep?
Anthias
Chromis
Peppermint Shrimp
Pink Spotted Goby
Powder Brown Tang
Coral Beauty

Acans don’t like too much light and they like a Bit more dirty water than a lot of other coals

What are your nitrates and phos?
That’s what I thought. You are starving them, you need to get your nitrates up to 10-15 and phosphates up to.5-.1. With margin of error your phosphates could be 0. I think you will see a big difference once you get your levels up. Happy reefing!
When I see .1, I do have a tendency to get scared sometimes.

What do you do to keep nitrates/phos up? I have no problems with reef roids for phos, just unsure on the nitrates.
If it was me would reduce your refugium schedule slowly and see if you get more extension out of your torches. If they do extend more I would feel comfortable trying again. Also if you have a dwarf angel watch him. Acans and blastos are lunch boxes for them.

Yes, do have a coral beauty, it has been pretty good but haven't noticed it picking but its belly is completely full and round haha.

Any idea on what a proper torch extension should look like? I've always wondered because my frog spawns look happy but aren't puffy.
Most of my Acans/Micromussa are near the bottom but I have a couple close to mid level, albeit not in full light.. They like good feedings although it’s not necessary . Also flow shouldn’t be super strong.

What are your nutrients at?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias
Chromis
Peppermint Shrimp
Pink Spotted Goby
Powder Brown Tang
Coral Beauty

What do you do to keep nitrates/phos up? I have no problems with reef roids for phos, just unsure on the nitrates.

Yes, do have a coral beauty, it has been pretty good but haven't noticed it picking but its belly is completely full and round haha.

Nitrates 15 and phosphate.1

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias
Chromis
Peppermint Shrimp
Pink Spotted Goby
Powder Brown Tang
Coral Beauty

Any idea on what a proper torch extension should look like? I've always wondered because my frog spawns look happy but aren't puffy.

My nutrients are actually pretty low for an lps heavy tank. Nitrates at about 7-15 and last time I checked phos was almost negligible

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not tested nitrates or phos in at least a decade. I test all alk calcium . I feed heavy so always have some n and p so no need to test as it doesn’t bottom out Hobby grade phos kits are not accurate imo

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

monti
stylo
birdsnest
green leather
a few indo torches
lots of zoas
duncan
candy canes
clove poly
frog spawn
mushrooms
3 x maxima clams
1 x deresa clam
I would not call this "mainly a softie tank" at all. But I agree that your low nutrients might be part of the problem... you may need to decide what you prefer to keep - corals that prefer lower nutrients (many SPS) or corals that need higher nutrients (most LPS and soft corals). Keeping a true "mixed reef" is not a simple matter and often people experience more success when the majority of their livestock needs parameters in the same range.

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things to consider that haven’t yet been mentioned you can look into.
1) keep your water temperature in the lower range
2) you may have an infection that requires cipro treatment
3) hostile neighbors, even soft corals that touch them

And I agree with many above posters that nitrates are a bit low and they May appreciate some direct feedings from time to time.

Those suggestions are from personal experience that I then learned by reading and careful observation and experimenting more about keeping these beauties from.

OP
OP
M

mrhongkongwong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not call this "mainly a softie tank" at all. But I agree that your low nutrients might be part of the problem... you may need to decide what you prefer to keep - corals that prefer lower nutrients (many SPS) or corals that need higher nutrients (most LPS and soft corals). Keeping a true "mixed reef" is not a simple matter and often people experience more success when the majority of their livestock needs parameters in the same range.
This is might be the sad reality :(

Thanks everyone, I will raise up my nitrates more and see what happens.

With Phosphates would it be bad to target .1-.3 or would that be considered too high? I would do it via Reef Roids and more feeding frequency.

Picture of the new to me blastos after a couple of weeks. The top one defleshed a couple of days ago.

20231110_085935.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back