Can't keep the algae in my Refugium

Paul Thomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 Gal Refugium under a Kessel H380. I am currently running approx. 2000 Gal per hour turn over. I am trying to achieve 10X turn over as recommended when running the triton method. Not 1005 sure because I don't have a flow meter. I am running a Vector pump at approx. 60%.
I also have a spray bar in the refugium on my manifold providing cross current in the attempt to get the algae to slowly roll. I was successful for about two weeks and then my algae vanished. Every time I put any Macro in the refugium it gets pulled into the pump chamber and disintegrated.
Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can keep the Algae in the refugium without reducing my tank over turn flow below 10%?

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White grid light diffuser from the big box store.

Marc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't use white but I was having the same issue. I had some black eggcrate on hand and built a half box and weighed it down with rubble. So far it stopped falling appart. I've read that it does not need to tumble.

20180609_043052.jpg

OP
OP
Paul Thomas

Paul Thomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is what I was going to try next. Thought I would post the question before I lost anymore Algae. Thank you for the input

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a problem with algae get sucked into the pump why don't you install a sponge filter; ya know like the ones they use for anemones

OP
OP
Paul Thomas

Paul Thomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well while that is a very solid solution to this issue I don't want to use a sponge filter in my water flow for a couple of reasons. It tends to slow down my flow too much, speeding up the pumps just drains the pump section. Also, I don't what to have to clean it out every few days. I have designed a system that requires minimum reoccurring maintenance with most things only being required every two weeks. This is why I thought the egg crate solution might work well as it is just a more open filter barrier. my final solution has two walls of egg crate to catch and keep the macro in the refuge. Water flow is unaffected so we will see how it goes.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Paul, what type of macroalgae are you adding to your refugium?

OP
OP
Paul Thomas

Paul Thomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To date I have only tried to grow Cheato. I just recently placed an order for more cheato as well as several other types for some variety. I also decided to make another attempt to use the sponge filter along with a single egg crate as a gate. It is my hope that once all the loose algae pieces are removed this filter will not get clogged up so often. It does make the tank run more quietly, and since it is currently in my bedroom thats a plus.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How big of a tank do you have? Do you have any tangs or foxfaces or other nori eaters? I assume you mainly want to follow the triton method and reduce nitrates and phosphates. I might be able to give you some advice.

OP
OP
Paul Thomas

Paul Thomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a Red Sea Reefer XL 750 so total water volume is approx 200Gal. I have three mid sized tangs in the display. I am currently running a very low nutrient (PO4 avg .02) Triton method tank currently

dkevink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem. Cheato would grow like crazy then fall apart and die. It would grow great until nitrate went to almost zero. In my tank, low nutrients seemed to cause cheato to stop growing then die back. I have one tank I kept nutrients ultra low, even no fish, cheato completely died out and when I added new from my other tank, that would die after a few weeks.

Maybe nutrients too low for cheato.

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ducking your nutrients dry sometime it's better to run a lower photo period the BRS 160 only runs their fuge light 3 days a week.

OP
OP
Paul Thomas

Paul Thomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just as an update tot this thread for anyone interested: I used Egg crate to trap my Cheato Ball and put the sponge filter back in. This works to keep the algae where it belongs. However, it requires way too often maintenance to keep proper flow as both get clogged with algae strands. I've also noticed that the growth of the cheato is very slow. I do believe it will get there and work but i've decided to migrate to an algae scrubber instead. I believe this will get up to working speed much faster. while I do expect to have to clean it out regularly I feel this is going to be much easier Maint than the refugium design.

reefer844

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 Gal Refugium under a Kessel H380. I am currently running approx. 2000 Gal per hour turn over. I am trying to achieve 10X turn over as recommended when running the triton method. Not 1005 sure because I don't have a flow meter. I am running a Vector pump at approx. 60%.
I also have a spray bar in the refugium on my manifold providing cross current in the attempt to get the algae to slowly roll. I was successful for about two weeks and then my algae vanished. Every time I put any Macro in the refugium it gets pulled into the pump chamber and disintegrated.
Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can keep the Algae in the refugium without reducing my tank over turn flow below 10%?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back