help me with the right refugium light

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx! I got a red sea 500 fleaceroller as mechanical filter. But maybee i have to crawl back to a skimmer.....

Have you been running the roller long? I added a reefmat 500 to my reefer 300 in November and pulled it a few weeks ago because I feel it was removing too much and corals were looking poor. I may put it back in and just turn it off at night and let it over flow. It is nice not having to clean socks. Rollers can be very effective.
Curious what are your NO3 and PO4 levels currently?

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been running the roller long? I added a reefmat 500 to my reefer 300 in November and pulled it a few weeks ago because I feel it was removing too much and corals were looking poor. I may put it back in and just turn it off at night and let it over flow. It is nice not having to clean socks. Rollers can be very effective.
Curious what are your NO3 and PO4 levels currently?

when I ran fleasroller and deltec 600i, the skimmer stopped after a few days, there was nothing to skim. red sea fleacroller is a beast. I'm actually a bit unsure, I struggled for a long time with 0-0 values, but it was because I didn't have any fish (died of ich) cheato was thrown in two weeks ago, had about 25 in nitrate then, now 10. but difficult to say as I have just finished a round of cyano. have a lot of lps and 7 fish

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testet with hanna checker Nitrates sitte at 7.5ppm. It have been redused from around 20ppm. I had a massiv cyano outbreake.had no skimmer running, and put in a refugium with cheato morpha after the cyan outbreak was over. can see that brown algae has started to appear on the sand. Anyone have a good explanation? Nutrients?
1000008117.jpg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testet with hanna checker Nitrates sitte at 7.5ppm. It have been redused from around 20ppm. I had a massiv cyano outbreake.had no skimmer running, and put in a refugium with cheato morpha after the cyan outbreak was over. can see that brown algae has started to appear on the sand. Anyone have a good explanation? Nutrients?
1000008117.jpg
The brown on the sand in your photo is diatoms. They will slowly go away too. If you want to speed up the process you can get sand sifters. Goby, Cerith Snails, Trochus Snails, and conch's will all help, but the tank looks a bit small for a larger sand sifting goby (like a dragon sleeper) so maybe a YWG or something would be better suited. I am also not sure if the sand is deep enough for a conch judging from the picture, but someone can correct me. My Fighting conch likes to get all the way underneath the sand sometimes, my sand bed is 3" mostly and even 4" deep in some places.

Check out www.reefcleaners.org

They have a healthy supply of various CUC species and list what each of them likes to eat. Find one that says sand and diatoms in the description and get a few of those.

tfeeken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced one of these after about 4 years. The last one wasn't as powerful but it just grows faster. I have it on for 12 hrs and off for 12 hrs opposite of my light schedule. Works incredibly well for a $30 grow light.

Amazon grow light

Snag_5c5956ec.png

Skard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same light as Tfeeken above, great light and I run it on a 12 hour cycle as well. My chaetomorpha grows like crazy under this light.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a trigger 39 upgrade tryna decide on a light myself. Mostly to sustain macro pods and prisoners

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back