can't lower nitrate

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
My tank is 800 liters.
My nitrates are 50, phosphates 0.08. Bought bacto balance.
1st and 2nd day of dosing - pour 2.5 ml daily, nitrates dropped to 20.
3rd day of dosing - This morning I checked the nitrates were again 50, the phosphates were gone to 0.02.
Increased the dose of bacto balance to 5 ml.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a few questions to help us understand a little better. How old is your tank? How much rock? Sandbed? Refugium / macros? What nutrient export modalities do you employ? How heavy are you feeding, and what? What does your stocking list / bioload look like? What test kits are you using?

OP
OP
runetspike

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions to help us understand a little better. How old is your tank? What nutrient export modalities do you employ? How heavy are you feeding, and what? What does your stocking list / biology look like?
my tank is 1 year old. From equipment skimmer Royal supermarine 250 rd3, fleece filter. live stones 23kg, separax 20 liters, aquaforest bio life 5 liters, biosphere maxspect 6kg. I feed the fish 2 times a day nori, 1 time a week Artemia .. population 13 surgical.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my tank is 1 year old. From equipment skimmer Royal supermarine 250 rd3, fleece filter. live stones 23kg, separax 20 liters, aquaforest bio life 5 liters, biosphere maxspect 6kg. I feed the fish 2 times a day nori, 1 time a week Artemia .. population 13 surgical.
My apologies for the typos in my previous post, I corrected them and added some more questions while you were replying. Pardon the difference in vernacular here, but by "surgical", do you mean surgeon fishes / tangs?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
My tank is 800 liters.
My nitrates are 50, phosphates 0.08. Bought bacto balance.
1st and 2nd day of dosing - pour 2.5 ml daily, nitrates dropped to 20.
3rd day of dosing - This morning I checked the nitrates were again 50, the phosphates were gone to 0.02.
Increased the dose of bacto balance to 5 ml.
Bacto balance is used when your phosphate and nitrate are at your desired levels. It helps maintain those levels.

Elimi NP is the product that reduces nitrates and phosphate.

OP
OP
runetspike

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Приношу свои извинения за опечатки в предыдущем сообщении, я исправил их и добавил еще несколько вопросов, пока вы отвечали. Извините за разницу в просторечии, но под «хирургическим» вы имеете в виду рыб-хирургов / хирургов?

My apologies for the typos in my previous post, I corrected them and added some more questions while you were replying. Pardon the difference in vernacular here, but by "surgical", do you mean surgeon fishes / tangs?
Yes

OP
OP
runetspike

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacto balance is used when your phosphate and nitrate are at your desired levels. It helps maintain those levels.

Elimi NP is the product that reduces nitrates and phosphate.
I understand correctly, I need to change the product? everything is fine with phosphate, I have to dose them.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand correctly, I need to change the product? everything is fine with phosphate, I have to dose them.
I use some TM products but not those specifically but I did research them. It's my understanding that you use elimi NP to bring nutrients levels down then switch to bacto balance when you reach your preferred levels and this helps maintain those levels which is why you are not seeing nitrates reduction using it.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
13 Tangs in a (roughly) 200 gallon system? I'm not gonna flash the Tang Police badge here (fighting the urge), but that alone is a ridiculously heavy biolad. Least of all for only having about 50 lbs. of live rock in there. Even with a minimalist aquascape, that amount does not provide a sufficient biofilter, IMO.

OP
OP
runetspike

runetspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some TM products but not those specifically but I did research them. It's my understanding that you use elimi NP to bring nutrients levels down then switch to bacto balance when you reach your preferred levels and this helps maintain those levels which is why you are not seeing nitrates reduction using it.
Fine. I will try.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions to help us understand a little better. How old is your tank? How much rock? Sandbed? Refugium / macros? What nutrient export modalities do you employ? How heavy are you feeding, and what? What does your stocking list / bioload look like? What test kits are you using?
the big lebowski GIF

Back