Can't lower nitrates !

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a long time reefer and have had several tanks, but I can't get my wife's 29 Biocubes nitrates to lower?

Mixed reef.
Set up for 4 months.
Live black sand.
About 40lbs of dead rock.
Used Dr. Tim's One and Only plus his ammonia.
2 small clown fish.
2 small wrasses.
The new 9001 TUNZE skimmer
Very little use of activated carbon so far
Reef Crystals salt.
Kalkwasser.

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite-0
PH-7.8-8.0

But, the nitrates are over 40-50 ppm !
Two weeks ago, I did three consecutive days of 7 gallon water changes, but did little of lowering them.
Tested with a new test. Kit, same results..

This tank puzzle's me ?
I do not,.....over feed so that's not the issue.

Might try some GFO.

Hey Kev;

I happen to have a biocube 29 I started in July. I see you mention above adding the tunze 9001 skimmer. What else are you doing in the back? Chemi pure?, Purigen? Refugium? Hopefully, you have already replaced the factory installed bioball trickle filter, as this can lead to a nitrate problem. I am running a media basket with what I mentioned above and a refugium basket growing chaeto.

Rich.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not using any bioball's as their a nitrate factory. I used BRS's activated carbon for 5 days, a month after we started the tank, other than that, nothing.
I'm going to pick out a rock and put it in a fresh batch of saltwater for 24 hrs, then test for nitrates. If there's none, I'll start pulling my hair out ! lol :frusty:

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not using any bioball's as their a nitrate factory. I used BRS's activated carbon for 5 days, a month after we started the tank, other than that, nothing.
I'm going to pick out a rock and put it in a fresh batch of saltwater for 24 hrs, then test for nitrates. If there's none, I'll start pulling my hair out ! lol :frusty:

Mine cycled quick, but I used fresh cycled LR and live sand from the reef down here. Starting dry even with bacterial additives is a long process IMO. Especially pertaining to small COC(Copepods, amphipods, and very importantly worms!

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't looked into what carbon dosing is, so please enlighten me, then I'll get to researching.

I'd like to find out the source first, so I know what has happened.

A friend recommended to take a fist sized rock from the display, place it in a bucket of freshly made batch of saltwater for 24 hrs, then test to see if the dead rock I'm using is leaching nitrate. he dead a lot of people are having issues with a lot of the company's that supply dead rock. But,....mine are from my reef tanks back in the 90's, with only a few of the new,....dead or dry,...rock.

Think it makes any difference ?

Don't you think that the fish & corals would be suffering with the high Nitrates ?
Most everything looks very well.

Here's some pics from start to recent. We changed the rock scaping a bit since the first pics and the lighting.

P1050843.jpg

P1050833.jpg

P1060318.jpg
P1060332.jpg
P1060298.jpg

Last edited:

ASAP-Aquarium

FREE USA SHIPPING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally recommend either organic carbon dosing, or growing macroalgae. Both can do a good job on nutrients. :)

Agreed, this is your best long term & stable solution for controlling nitrates.

There are a number of products available that will get you quick results (nitrates at zero within about 2 weeks with daily dosing according to instructions).

There is a product that I do not sell called AZNO3 (Absolute Zero Nitrates), it works very well. You can get it at Marine Depot.

There is also a product from Red Sea called NO3:pO4-X, it reduces nitrates and phosphates.

I do sell the Red Sea product, however I recommend the AZNO3 for quick results.

Just expressing my personal opinion from experience, I'm not trying to sell you anything.

And once again for the record, I agree with Randy on the best long term solution.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a brand new kit to test against my original, but got the same results.

joejoe1055

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway to put one of your rocks into fresh rodi saltwater and test it a few days to see if its the rocks?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I mentioned, I'll try to pick one, without tearing down a rock that's occupied by corals and test it.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just had a thought. I have a Cockatoo bird and they are pretty dirty with white powder, that gets all over the house. I have her bird stand next to the tank and last night, we noticed some kind
of debris in the tank, sort of like detritus. Do you think it could be her powder that may comprise of nitrate or brake down to it ?

I'll put some clear plastic screening over the tank.

Kind of reaching here but,.......

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the white powder my Cockatoo has ?
If so, it's a natural powder their body releases to keep their body & feathers dry from moisture, similar us humans using antiperspirants.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that if nutrients are low, one can get burnt tips if alkalinity is too high. I've never heard of it happening when alk is 7 dKH, and I don't believe it happens with any form of organic carbon dosing if the nutrients are not unusually low.

Just using pellets or vodka/vinegar/etc. doesn't mean nutrients are low. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back