Can't seem to get Potassium up

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So a month ago, I ran some ZeoLite media and curprisorb to quickly remove copper out of my tank. Since two weeks ago, I removed the zeolites, and then 9 days ago, I removed curbisorb because at this point, plus the 8 water 50% water changes I've done, I can safely assume through calculation (ICP results incoming to confirm) that the copper is at very low non-toxic levels or near zero.

What prompted me to measure my potassium is my montipora caps and digitas seemed very upset -- STN in the shaded parts, dull grey color, no polyp extension -- the values tested with Salifert were 320 ppm of potassium. My acroporas since the copper poisoning have recovered and have their color back!!

My corrective course of action -- I made a stock solution of 100 grams of potassium chloride to 1 liter of water, since the 19th of March until today, I've dosed 423 mL of this solution into my water via my Neptune dose. By that planted calculator website that Randy has referenced in the past, each mL of this solution in my 50 gallon system water, should raise my potassium by 0.31 ppm. Correct me if I am wrong -- I should be at today ~450 ppm of potassium. Yet, I tested again today, I am only at 360 PPM, and have tested throughout, and it seems that I cannot get much higher than 380 ppm. Yes, I've seen the values drop while dosing...

Thinking that my chaeto refugium was robbing some of the potassium, I pruned it heavily. But assuming that I have no testing error, what could be the cause? Or is it the test kit? What else could it be?

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK for fun, I just tested some freshly made saltwater. Aquaforest Reef Salt. The stated ICP values are 380 PPM. My Salifert test kit says 310 ppm. uggghh.

Any suggestions on better test kits?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Elos and RedSea for Potassium. From my experience the Elos test it VERY subjective and can vary by over 100ppm based on who is doing the test. The RedSea is better, but I have never been able to match my ICP results by home testing. I have never used any other Potassium tests other than these.

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure about the salinity of the newly made saltwater? Running a correlating test, like calcium on the saltwater may help to confirm the Salifert Potassium test is at fault.

Just check calibration with calibration solution -- I was off by 1 ppt. I wouldn't see this as cause.

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Elos and RedSea for Potassium. From my experience the Elos test it VERY subjective and can vary by over 100ppm based on who is doing the test. The RedSea is better, but I have never been able to match my ICP results by home testing. I have never used any other Potassium tests other than these.

Agreed. I've read that the Salifert was prone to error, but the color change for this test kit it is very dramatic and difficult to overshoot.

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a quick calculation I get a little lower K+ rise (0.27 ppm per mL) than you calculated, but that does not explain the difference you observe.

I posted on this thread, post #2. I did the same test with fresh 1 hour old mix from aquaforrest reef salt and the batch ICP says it was at 380 ppm (when mixed to 35ppt) and I tested it and tested my mix at 310 ppm mixed at 36 ppt.

I'll trust their claim of 380 ppm from their ICP, plus assuming they are following a standard batch production recipe --- over my Salifert test kit.

I am going to try to repeat that with another fresh mix tomorrow and see if I can hit the same number. Hopefully I can at least repeat the measurement. Heck I will take +/- 20 PPM.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back