Sodium Nitrate dosing gone wrong

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone can help me understand where I went wrong so I don’t do this again. my nitrates were pretty low (around 1ppm) compared to my phosphates (0.15) so I wanted to dose slowly to bring my nitrates up to 10 ppm.

I mixed up a batch of sodium nitrate solution based on this calculator for potassium nitrate and figured I’d knock off 10% since sodium and potassium nitrate are slightly different. I used this calculator below.

F765658C-66BA-4BE3-BD1E-9BAB067EDC32.png

Based on what it told me I added 7 teaspoons of sodium nitrate to 400 ml of water and then dosed 10 ml to my 160 gallon (total volume) tank.

I expected to get about 1.5 ppm increase in my tank after 24 hours. Instead it is reading off the scale at 75 ppm now. Based on the color of the solution my guess is that I’m over 100 ppm.

What did I do wrong? Is this calculator just bad?

Edit: turns out I accidentally used my nitrate dosing syringe to test my nitrates. No issue with the dose I was using.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when ever I start adding home mixed stuff I try a few drops and remeasure to see if I am on the right track or on the highway in that AC/CD song. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
bon scott GIF

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using the hanna test kit. Same batch of reagent I’ve been measuring 1-2 ppm with for the last 4 weeks, so reasonably sure it isn’t the reagent packets.
Pretty sure something is effecting reagent. I don’t see any way 10ml raised 160 gallons of water to over 100ppm.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after some replies here at least hinting I’m not totally crazy I went back and looked over everything.

Turns out I used my nitrate dosing syringe to test me nitrates instead of my testing syringe. Used the correct one and got 4 ppm as expected.

Lesson learned: label syringes better.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back