Can't stabilize the water level

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a design problem, but I can't really tell.

A sump system is _supposed_ to work like this: Main tank is 'full'. Any additional water put into the tank pushes water out the overflow, to the sump. Capacity of the overflow system should exceed the capability of the pump pushing water to the tank. This way, the tank is 'full'... all the time. Pump is pushing water into it, but since it's full, that's just overflowing back to the sump. Tank level should NEVER vary.

From the tank, water flows through one or more areas in the sump. All but the last of these areas work just like the tank does. The area is 'full'. Any additional water flows to the next section. That's true until you get to the return compartment. That, and only that section has a variable water line. It'll go down as water evaporates, up as it's refilled, manually or by ATO system.

If your tank water level varies, then I'd suspect that the return pump is too big for the overflow. There is no way to 'tune' a system so that overflow and return are balanced... it'd be a constant game, risking wet socks every minute. There is no balance... overflow MUST have a greater capacity than the pump. Level can't fall in the main tank, because it'll stop overflowing. Level can't rise, because it'll overflow.

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Red Sea set up with a diaphragm valve. What I don't understand is how I can have it adjusted to where the water level is just below the emergency return (and it'll be happy for the whole day) and then the next day, the water level would be way down in the return box or pouring down the emergency return. I just don't get why it fluctuates so much. I have an ATO. I don't want a lot going down the emergency return as it bypasses the Reef Mat.

And when I turn off my skimmer for maintenance (or the pumps too), do nothing to change any other setting (i.e. leave the diaphragm valve where it was), the water level in the return box doesn't go back to where it was! I will wait a good 60 minutes to see if it'll settle down to where it was before but it usually doesn't. Anyone know why on this??

I'm with OP, that this drives me nuts.

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats exactly what was happening, thats why i turned off the ato

I feel your pain brother. My Reefer 250 is new and I wanted to sell it because I was sooooo frustrated with the fluctuating water level. I came from an all in one tank and I never had these issues. So try raising it all the way to the top of the overflow and see if that fixes it.

OP
OP
O

OGKro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! I knew this was a Red Sea tank before I even clicked on it. My tank was doing the same exact thing and it drove me crazy. What fixed it was raising the water level to the top of the overflow pipe. Basically raise it as high as it will go. If I don't do that, the water level will just fluctuate and the ATO will just dump tons of water into the sump. I might just change out the diaphragm valve for a spears gate valve.
But by doing that the pump is going to start sucking air because theres not enough water in the return pump chamber. Does that mean that i'm missing water in my system ?

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Red Sea set up with a diaphragm valve. What I don't understand is how I can have it adjusted to where the water level is just below the emergency return (and it'll be happy for the whole day) and then the next day, the water level would be way down in the return box or pouring down the emergency return. I just don't get why it fluctuates so much. I have an ATO. I don't want a lot going down the emergency return as it bypasses the Reef Mat.

And when I turn off my skimmer for maintenance (or the pumps too), do nothing to change any other setting (i.e. leave the diaphragm valve where it was), the water level in the return box doesn't go back to where it was! I will wait a good 60 minutes to see if it'll settle down to where it was before but it usually doesn't. Anyone know why on this??

I'm with OP, that this drives me nuts.

I don't even want to do water changes anymore lol. I bought a spears gate valve and I've read its much better than the crappy diaphragm valve and will not fluctuate like that. So I might just install that over my xmas break coming up.

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But by doing that the pump is going to start sucking air because theres not enough water in the return pump chamber. Does that mean that i'm missing water in my system ?

You're gonna have to add water to the return pump section to where it's touching your ATO sensor. That's where I have my Tunze ATO. I'm telling you bro, that will fix it. Raising the water level as high as you can.

OP
OP
O

OGKro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're gonna have to add water to the return pump section to where it's touching your ATO sensor. That's where I have my Tunze ATO. I'm telling you bro, that will fix it. Raising the water level as high as you can.
stupid question: If i add the saltwater of the same salinity is that going to increase the salinity overall ?

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reef ato+ that attaches to the sump, theres a dedicated spot for it. I have a g2 reefer 250. So i don't know if they changed the sump setup
Ahh ok. So you have the G2+. I have the G2 and the only difference is mine doesn’t come with the ATO. Which is fine because I like my Tunze ATO.

OP
OP
O

OGKro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so should i let the water trickle down the emergency drain or close to trickling down ?

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_2686.jpeg
    IMG_2686.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2682.jpeg
    IMG_2682.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 28

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back