Canthigaster Puffers

DŽ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised how those puffers (Valentini and Blue Spotted) have not been bred in captivity yet. Any idea why they haven't been aquacultured yet?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a commercial perspective, they're not reef-safe (so you have a limited pool of prospective buyers for them) and they have a long pelagic stage as larvae (~64-113 days for Valentini Puffers; so it's a long time from spawn to being able to sell them, which means it would cost the breeders a lot more time and money than other, faster growing species). Basically, there are just other species that make a lot more sense for commercial breeders to work with at the moment (i.e. there's not much incentive that I can see for professionals to try breeding these right now).

From a hobbyist perspective, they're probably difficult to culture, and very few people would probably try keeping more than one at a time in the first place. I've heard someone reported successfully breeding and rearing Canthigaster rostrata in captivity before, but the link to the report is bad now, so I can't verify that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back