Car Potentially Totaled Due to Frame Damage - Insurance

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that insurance companies operate with their own policies, but they cannot operate over what state law dictates, and some states define what is the definition of totaled and some do not. I wasn't speaking to this specific instance. I was just throwing that out there for those that wanted to defend their positions on whether it was totaled or not.
In the end, I hope it works out in OP's favor.
They will operate under state laws. Meaning if state law doesn't trump they will have an overlay. It's underwriting 101

reef6414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping with the state law theme, as crazy as it sounds you may not be entitled to a full kbb retail value of your vehicle. For example, here in Florida, an insurance company is only obligated to pay actual cash value for property damages (retail less depreciation) or repair cost which ever is less expensive. If you find yourself in a situation where they want to total but you want to repair you could start a discussion about some sort of "property damage release". Most adjusters will work with you as they would like to close their claim file.

xsetmygoalsx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for Liberty Mutual, and that is correct. No Kbb value in the policy dec page. It's only what your vehicle sells for today in the market value.

And they base the total value off of what it would cost to put our vehicle back to precedent condition. This INCLUDES labor. Which many times will total out a vehicle of that age. They then tale the ACV(actual cash value of the truck, minus deductions. (wear and tear, miles, mechanical problems) They will then pay you for whats left. Now sometimes you can cash out the vehicle depending on what state you are in and rebuild the vehicle yourself and get the vehicle inspected by the dmv. They will then brand it a Salvage/rebuilt title.

Last edited:
OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again all for the input, I called the State Farm claims team and explained the issue I'm having, which is understanding what exactly happens if the body shop damages the frame. State Farm is suppose to have their total loss department call me and explain potential compensation. I'm not comfortable with moving forward with the repair unless I have some sort of guarantee for a reasonable payout to buy a new truck should the frame damage occur. Easily I've spent way more time than I should have chasing estimates and dealing with these people!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 45 49.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.6%
Back