Carbon doser seepage setup

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

I’m trying to hook a new Co2 tank up to my carbon doser but it keeps leaking co2 out from the fitting. I can’t get a good connection.

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? I tried two different tanks. Thank you!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it one with the rubber o-ring on the carbon doser side? If so, is it there?

If not they sell the disposable plastic washers that create the seal between the tank and regulator. I get a handful every time I go refill my tank. Now I have little baggies of them throughout the house...

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an example of what I'm talking about, you should be able to get them from a welding supply store, or a place that sells/rents beer kegs.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I’m about to head out on vacation (of course) and this is not as straight forward as I thought it would be.

here’s the carbon doser connect & o ring and the co2 tank
77965DF2-0A47-42C5-8A8A-28BA1F13AFD5.jpeg

Here is a washer that was provided by the co2 tank company.
061D0E03-F677-4CF2-8F1D-AB8C1A55608B.jpeg

the scuba diver in me figured thatthe carbon doser o ring should line up right to the co2 tank.

i tried putting the washer in but it stil leaked. Perhaps I’m not tightening enough? It’s tight. I don’t want to damage the o ring tho.

Thank you so much!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it used? I could be mistaken but that o ring looks a bit flattened. To satisfy my curiosity, can you grab an allen wrench and ensure the shifnoid seal is tightened down?? If it is the o-ring that needs replaced, you can pick those up at the same places I mentioned above.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks @jda !

before I saw your post I put the washer in and tightened the connection more with a wrench.

this seems* to if resolved the issue. I can’t hear the seepage now. But I didn’t try to tighten the o-ring without the washer, & straight to the co2 tank firmly with the wrench.

thinking maybe I leave it as is tight with the washer?

moving forward is it best to avoid washers and have the o-ring right direct to the tank fitting? Or are the washers best?

thank you everyone!

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sisterlimonpot the carbon doser is used once by me, not by another user, but is tightened more now with a brand new washer.

I think the o ring is good, it feels good at least but it doesn’t project out much from the ring indenture it lies in.

Things seem to be ok now. But more surprises likely may be in store for me :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have two flat surfaces on the bottle and regulator, then you need a nylon washer... never metal. If you have an o-ring, then no washer.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks @jda i didn’t know this.

maybe my o-ring got pushed too far in or has an issue?

I now have the carbon doser o-ring pushed up to the nylon washer which lies in between the co2 tank. The ph value of the reactor since is slowly going back down to target levels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been 24 hours now and while the seepage seemed* to of been fixed by using the washer and tightening the connection with a wrench, I have gone from 750 psi down to 500 psi on a 5 pound tank.

co2 is still leaking. Any idea on how I can improve the connection?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Psi has now decreased further to 300.

does anyone have an idea on why this leak may be occurring? I’m not sure if I should remove the washer, keep it, tighten without it,or what...

it might be occurring due to another issue? Maybe leaking out from the chamber itself?

thanks everyone, I appreciate any help or insight

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best I can tell you is that you have to determine where the leak is coming from. get some soapy water are start probing for leaks. I had the same problem when I transitioned to a CaRx. I wasted an entire 10lb bottle over night due to my incompetents. Turns out it was leaking where the regulator attached to the bottle. It has some sort of paper type gasket that just wasn't sealing.

The o-ring on the carbon doser should create a nice tight seal all by itself. And by you tightening the nut with a wrench, it leads me to think that there's a leak somewhere else. Soapy water should pinpoint it. JUST BE CAREFUL, you don't want to allow water to seep inside the electronics.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I didn’t detect any leaks with the soapy water test....

I hooked up another co2 tank to the carbon doser.Will see if this connection leaks as well. It’s a tight connection with the washer in place between the tank and the carbon doser o ring.

o ring seems to be ok. Any one see any issues with it or has any other ideas?
5332FCDB-9D59-4290-9383-04B94803913E.jpeg

thank you!

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it was a bad washer, but the leak continued. Swapped out a new tank with new washer twice since and no issues.
Strange, still dont know why. Just know I appreciated the help.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back